Has the Rolex bubble finally burst? Perhaps it has

Author
Discussion

bazza.

626 posts

79 months

Friday 22nd November 2019
quotequote all
Wish someone could tell my AD that the bubble has burst as I'm still waiting for my Hulk & Pepsi
its only been 2 years now

Mariosbt

2,452 posts

53 months

Saturday 23rd November 2019
quotequote all
So said:
harleywilma said:
Boring......
Aren't you.
Just sold my Daydate & Datejust. Wear this (£80) Sekonda now.. with Cyclopse & people still think I have a Rolex on. Personally I have given up caring. I find it hard to value a wrist watch at the same amount as... shall we say a 12 year old lovely ‘Porsche Boxster’

So

24,091 posts

209 months

quotequote all
-dadam02- said:
So said:
I am not sure if I am yet to be proved right, but I foresaw an end to the madness happening this year. Which is why I sold my modest holding of Rolex sports models prior to Christmas last year.

I figured strong market + Christmas = best price. Brexit uncertainty in 2019 = lower price.

If the decline in values continues it will be a rare accurate prediction on my part.
Haven't prices generally gone up considerably since this time last year, so you didn't really sell at the right time did you? A BLNR was £8.5k, for example, this time last year, but £12.5k+ roughly now (most 50% increase).
The ones I sold were pre-ceramic and I am not absolutely sure what they are worth today. But I sold them for more than I paid, and did so because I thought this year could be shaky.

I try not to get cute when it comes to timing markets. It is almost impossible to pick a top and bottom picking will only result in smelly fingers.

anonymous-user

41 months

quotequote all
Not wanting to sound like billy big bks but Ive become pally with a Rolex ambassador- by accident mind you, no ulterior motive - and once I realised said person was connected with Rolex I had to ask.

Basically they can get anything with zero waiting time..also willing to get me anything I'm after.

I feel sorry for people who have waited 2 years on a list...

LaurasOtherHalf

21,429 posts

183 months

quotequote all
I don't doubt it autonomy but that's hardly going to be possible for 99.9% of the population now is it?

Fckitdriveon

987 posts

77 months

quotequote all
Autonomy said:
Not wanting to sound like billy big bks but Ive become pally with a Rolex ambassador- by accident mind you, no ulterior motive - and once I realised said person was connected with Rolex I had to ask.

Basically they can get anything with zero waiting time..also willing to get me anything I'm after.

Let’s test this.

Get me 2 deep sea deep blues 126600 please.

I ll make it worth your while too.

Drop me a pm.

Cheers

Edited by Fckitdriveon on Saturday 23 November 12:19

don logan

3,278 posts

209 months

quotequote all
So said:
-dadam02- said:
So said:
I am not sure if I am yet to be proved right, but I foresaw an end to the madness happening this year. Which is why I sold my modest holding of Rolex sports models prior to Christmas last year.

I figured strong market + Christmas = best price. Brexit uncertainty in 2019 = lower price.

If the decline in values continues it will be a rare accurate prediction on my part.
Haven't prices generally gone up considerably since this time last year, so you didn't really sell at the right time did you? A BLNR was £8.5k, for example, this time last year, but £12.5k+ roughly now (most 50% increase).
The ones I sold were pre-ceramic and I am not absolutely sure what they are worth today. But I sold them for more than I paid, and did so because I thought this year could be shaky.

I try not to get cute when it comes to timing markets. It is almost impossible to pick a top and bottom picking will only result in smelly fingers.
I think pre ceramic / discontinued / short run or oddball (stick dial / metres first) watches are the safest bet, however... if people have been spooked by the WF sale I don’t think they should be, the “sale” prices are still higher than other sellers are, hardly a sale! Did anyone see the youtube video by an ex watch dealer about them? It’s easy to find

anonymous-user

41 months

quotequote all
LaurasOtherHalf said:
I don't doubt it autonomy but that's hardly going to be possible for 99.9% of the population now is it?
It was more the artificial waiting list.

There is plenty available...but only to 'right' person.

My point was the waiting list is perhaps these ambassadors getting everyone stock which is why others have to wait.

Btw..what should I get? What's the most sought after? Daytona, BNLR?

Brads67

3,199 posts

85 months

quotequote all
Why, you just flipping it straight away ?

LaurasOtherHalf

21,429 posts

183 months

quotequote all
Autonomy said:
LaurasOtherHalf said:
It was more the artificial waiting list.

There is plenty available...but only to 'right' person.

My point was the waiting list is perhaps these ambassadors getting everyone stock which is why others have to wait.

Btw..what should I get? What's the most sought after? Daytona, BNLR?
But that doesn't make sense does it? There is no waiting lists for certain people, so what? I've had six or seven sports models in the last two years, I understand about the availability of them!

But just because I can, doesn't mean everyone else can either.

So your VIP mate get's whatever he wants, I get whatever I want after a few months and some other folk get whatever they want after a few years.

That's still a whole lot of people waiting a whole lot of time. The ADs can still sell every sports model they can without even waiting for them to hit the window.

For clarity, I picked up a sports model today after waiting a couple of months and was offered the next particular one I fancied whenever the next "one" came in. I'd expect it in time for new year if I go ahead with it.

harleywilma

488 posts

230 months

quotequote all
Yawn Yawn , just another old boring thread about speculators who think they know the markets.....

anonymous-user

41 months

quotequote all
Brads67 said:
Why, you just flipping it straight away ?
Yes. More than likely.

anonymous-user

41 months

quotequote all
LaurasOtherHalf said:
But that doesn't make sense does it? There is no waiting lists for certain people, so what? I've had six or seven sports models in the last two years, I understand about the availability of them!

So your VIP mate get's whatever he wants, I get whatever I want after a few months and some other folk get whatever they want after a few years.

That's still a whole lot of people waiting a whole lot of time. The ADs can still sell every sports model they can without even waiting for them to hit the window.

For clarity, I picked up a sports model today after waiting a couple of months and was offered the next particular one I fancied whenever the next "one" came in. I'd expect it in time for new year if I go ahead with it.
I'm only 'exposing' the waiting lists which seem ridiculous, when me, as a nobody, has just leap frogged someone in their potential 2nd year of waiting for one. And then add in the irony of not particularly wanting a new Rolex-but will take one if being offered and plan to sell on as soon as I have it.

You get my drift?

LaurasOtherHalf

21,429 posts

183 months

quotequote all
Autonomy said:
LaurasOtherHalf said:

I'm only 'exposing' the waiting lists which seem ridiculous, when me, as a nobody, has just leap frogged someone in their potential 2nd year of waiting for one. And then add in the irony of not particularly wanting a new Rolex-but will take one if being offered and plan to sell on as soon as I have it.

You get my drift?
So how is that different to any other commodity in the known world? Some people will always get preferential treatment.

ginettajoe

2,100 posts

205 months

Sunday 24th November 2019
quotequote all
Autonomy said:

I must admit, those very convincing "snide" Rolex, are ten a penny, as your "Ambassador" has obviously discovered!! Order me a S/S Daytona, black or white dial, but must be genuine, and I too will sort you out!!

lambo666

411 posts

105 months

Monday 25th November 2019
quotequote all
Me too - I will happily make you a nice few bob if you really can get your hands on either or all of the following:
Any daytona 116500
the Blue Deep sea Sea dweller
Sky Dweller (Black or Blue Dial)
Oyster Perpetual GMT-Master II "Pepsi"
the Batman on the Jubilee bracelet
The Hulk
PM me if this is at all possible...funds waiting....

richthebike

1,679 posts

124 months

quotequote all
ginettajoe said:
I must admit, those very convincing "snide" Rolex, are ten a penny, as your "Ambassador" has obviously discovered!! Order me a S/S Daytona, black or white dial, but must be genuine, and I too will sort you out!!
Hahaha I think I know one of these ambassadors too, they hang out in the MBK centre!

GT03ROB

12,243 posts

208 months

quotequote all
WTF is a "Rolex Ambassador"??

So

24,091 posts

209 months

quotequote all
GT03ROB said:
Someone who is paid to be seen wearing a Rolex. It usually applies to sports and movie stars.

GT03ROB

12,243 posts

208 months

quotequote all
So said:
GT03ROB said:
Someone who is paid to be seen wearing a Rolex. It usually applies to sports and movie stars.
Ok, now I'm more interested in who Autonomy's new BFF is than whether he can get me a white face daytona