2023 Sportscar Thread (WEC, IMSA, NLS, GT World Challenge)

2023 Sportscar Thread (WEC, IMSA, NLS, GT World Challenge)

Author
Discussion

Jordie Barretts sock

1,155 posts

6 months

Friday 17th March
quotequote all
Caddy is a better car than you think. And don't rule out Peugeot. Yes, having a mare but they'll sort it.

Vanwall and Glick look absolute dogs.

FredericRobinson

3,187 posts

219 months

Friday 17th March
quotequote all
The Peugeots were by never going to suit Sebring, still a terrible race though.

I’m impressed that Ferrari had a saw in the pit tent, good preparation

LukeBrown66

3,763 posts

33 months

Friday 17th March
quotequote all
I will happily rule out Peugeot, that car is still massively unreliable and they seem unable tog et it right for the race, it has happened so often, they qualify OK, the damn thing pulls up early in the race,mt hey fix it then it runs fine.

No issue with Vandervell, that car is very basic and they had no problems apart from durability of parts, that is nothing to worry about in a totally undeveloped car.

Porsche I think have got it wrong, that car is too hard on tyres with teh rear hybrid, might work OK at Le Mans which let's face it is all these teams worry about, but not been impressive so far in IMSA or WEC

Caddy need more cars out there, car is quick. I do however think an Acura would be worrying Toyota a bit

BaronVonVaderham

2,263 posts

134 months

Saturday 18th March
quotequote all
Thoroughly enjoyed that. The Ferrari looks spectacular and great for Toyota to have some competition, even if they are a year ahead.

WickedWizzzard

37 posts

12 months

Saturday 18th March
quotequote all
Didn’t bother watching, I think Sebring is such a bad track, not good even for enjoying on TV. Should be replaced in the WEC calendar with Daytona. But I understand the race was rather…meh. I think this WEC season, including LM24, is not going to be the most interesting in the top class given it’s the first year for these cars. Maybe if we also had the BMWs and in particular the Acuras (minus the cheating) it would be more exciting, and give Toyota something to worry about. I think will have to wait for 2024 for more thrills in LMDh/hyper.

FredericRobinson

3,187 posts

219 months

Saturday 18th March
quotequote all
WickedWizzzard said:
Didn’t bother watching, I think Sebring is such a bad track, not good even for enjoying on TV. Should be replaced in the WEC calendar with Daytona. But I understand the race was rather…meh. I think this WEC season, including LM24, is not going to be the most interesting in the top class given it’s the first year for these cars. Maybe if we also had the BMWs and in particular the Acuras (minus the cheating) it would be more exciting, and give Toyota something to worry about. I think will have to wait for 2024 for more thrills in LMDh/hyper.
I’d say Sebring is second only to Spa of the tracks the WEC visits, way more interesting and exciting than Daytona, if you don’t find WEC interesting this year you never will.

Leithen

9,418 posts

254 months

Saturday 18th March
quotequote all
Hate to be contrary, but great track and good race.

Ferrari needed to split their strategy and only pit the second car early, but ultimately Toyota was too fast. The new tyre rules are going to be very tricky. Looking forward to the season.

How bloody great it is to have Ferrari back.

Jordie Barretts sock

1,155 posts

6 months

Saturday 18th March
quotequote all
I agree. I really enjoyed that.

Not rhe greatest track because of the bumps, and despite it being notoriously difficult to pass, had some great overtakes.

WickedWizzzard

37 posts

12 months

Saturday 18th March
quotequote all
All good with being contrarian wink , and I'm testing my knowledge. I'm sure you guys know tons more than I do

24lemons

2,558 posts

172 months

Saturday 18th March
quotequote all
FredericRobinson said:
I’d say Sebring is second only to Spa of the tracks the WEC visits, way more interesting and exciting than Daytona, if you don’t find WEC interesting this year you never will.
Yep I’d agree with that. I do struggle to get excited about WEC races at Bahrain or Fuji but places like Sebring offer unique challenges which can throw a curve ball or two.

I tend to suspect things may be closer on a more conventional track.

FredericRobinson

3,187 posts

219 months

Saturday 18th March
quotequote all
The first round of the Nurburgring Langstreke Series is just getting underway for anyone at a loss until the 12 hours starts, live on YouTube

df76

3,413 posts

265 months

Saturday 18th March
quotequote all
FredericRobinson said:
The first round of the Nurburgring Langstreke Series is just getting underway for anyone at a loss until the 12 hours starts, live on YouTube
Looks like a perfect day for early Ring racing now, think qually was tricky first thing.

df76

3,413 posts

265 months

Saturday 18th March
quotequote all
A decent Sebring 12h so far, halfway through.. although I do struggle with overly long safety car periods in US racing.

FredericRobinson

3,187 posts

219 months

Saturday 18th March
quotequote all
df76 said:
A decent Sebring 12h so far, halfway through.. although I do struggle with overly long safety car periods in US racing.
They’re absolutely nuts, half an hour for a couple of bits of bodywork debris earlier

Leithen

9,418 posts

254 months

Sunday 19th March
quotequote all
Well that all went tits up at the end.

freedman

4,969 posts

194 months

Sunday 19th March
quotequote all
Leithen said:
Well that all went tits up at the end.
Looked nailed on 1-3 for Porsche at least, and they end up with just the 3rd step

ArnageWRC

Original Poster:

1,821 posts

146 months

Sunday 19th March
quotequote all
FredericRobinson said:
df76 said:
They’re absolutely nuts, half an hour for a couple of bits of bodywork debris earlier
Yeah, it doesn't matter how much IMSA racing I watch, it continues to frustrate. The most minor of things brings out the FCY.......Saying that, there were a few races last year where there were very few stoppages.

FredericRobinson

3,187 posts

219 months

Sunday 19th March
quotequote all
ArnageWRC said:
Yeah, it doesn't matter how much IMSA racing I watch, it continues to frustrate. The most minor of things brings out the FCY.......Saying that, there were a few races last year where there were very few stoppages.
And yet when they want to they can get back to racing very quickly, the three car carnage at the end caused less safety car time than the odd stray bit of bodywork earlier, they’ve gone down a path of trying to make things ‘fair’ causing ever lengthening and more complicated procedures rather than just accepting life isn’t fair and maximising green flag time.

Unwize

63 posts

84 months

I'm considering going to the WEC Portimao round, has anyone been to the VIP tower? It looks good value at €140 including a paddock pass. I find sitting in the grandstands at races it can be hard to know what is going on especially when there are 3 different classes. It's helpful if there is a TV screen nearby.

FredericRobinson

3,187 posts

219 months

Unwize said:
I'm considering going to the WEC Portimao round, has anyone been to the VIP tower? It looks good value at €140 including a paddock pass. I find sitting in the grandstands at races it can be hard to know what is going on especially when there are 3 different classes. It's helpful if there is a TV screen nearby.
I am, and have gone for the tower ticket for the views, and the ability to access all the area in the inside of the track, there haven’t been any big screens when I’ve been to the ELMS, might be for the WEC