Author
Discussion

biondi

Original Poster:

105 posts

91 months

Tuesday 26th July 2022
quotequote all
Hi, anyone have an idea how much the 720 prices have moved (roughly) in the last year? In my head, I'm thinking around 15k up or so? I know there's lots of variables, but just interested. At the mo, a 2018 720s Performance is somewhere between £150k-£160k I'd say.

Streetbeat

627 posts

63 months

Tuesday 26th July 2022
quotequote all
I would say its the same 15k ish across the range, maybe the 12c as the exception as the oldest car, i bought in March last year and saw 600lt's as low as £135, £140 for 720s and 570s £85 all there abouts.

TBCReece

1,364 posts

76 months

Tuesday 26th July 2022
quotequote all
I watch prices and numbers and they’ve very slightly increased.

jerrytlr

407 posts

200 months

Wednesday 27th July 2022
quotequote all
Streetbeat said:
I would say its the same 15k ish across the range, maybe the 12c as the exception as the oldest car, i bought in March last year and saw 600lt's as low as £135, £140 for 720s and 570s £85 all there abouts.
Not entirely on topic, but 650s don't seem to have moved much in either direction. I agree with +15k or so for the 720s.

akadk

1,282 posts

166 months

Thursday 28th July 2022
quotequote all
jerrytlr said:
Streetbeat said:
Not entirely on topic, but 650s don't seem to have moved much in either direction. I agree with +15k or so for the 720s.
They have

April 2021 I bought a spider for £88.5k from McLaren Glasgow. Same car now is +£15k

Desert Dragon

1,445 posts

71 months

Thursday 28th July 2022
quotequote all
What goes up will probably come back down especially under Truss and 7% interest rates..

jerrytlr

407 posts

200 months

Thursday 28th July 2022
quotequote all
Desert Dragon said:
What goes up will probably come back down especially under Truss and 7% interest rates..
New Supercar sales are at record levels during this cost of living crisis...

RSbandit

2,219 posts

119 months

Thursday 28th July 2022
quotequote all
I remember seeing a mint 2018 720S for sale at £135k in April 2020. Even tho cost of living is rising and there are multiple pinch points higher rates etc it doesn't seem to be an issue for those who can spend £200k plus on a car...for now. Maybe financing rates are gonna shoot higher so that might slow things down?

TwoMinds

25 posts

193 months

Thursday 28th July 2022
quotequote all
If interest rates overshoot forecasts, that will have a significant, negative, effect on asset prices. Possibly a larger factor than finance rates.

RSbandit

2,219 posts

119 months

Thursday 28th July 2022
quotequote all
Higher rates would drive higher financing rates but higher rates in themselves potentially a big scale problem.

garystoybox

646 posts

104 months

Thursday 28th July 2022
quotequote all
Don’t want to take this further off topic, but the chances of rates going much over 3% are slim to none. A lot of scare mongering in the press as usual but the city, BOE and Government are in alignment with their plans. Just need to remember that almost 100% of the furlough cash was funded by floating rate Government debt and higher rates (excess of 3.5%) would seriously damage the UK’s economic position, I.e. they can’t afford to let this happen.

Edited by garystoybox on Thursday 28th July 22:45

Taffy66

5,807 posts

89 months

Thursday 28th July 2022
quotequote all
garystoybox said:
Don’t want to take this further off topic, but the chances of rates going much over 3% are slim to none. A lot of scare mongering in the press as usual but the city, BOE and Government are in alignment with their plans. Just need to remember that almost 100% of the furlough cash was funded by floating rate Government debt and higher rates (excess of 3.5%) would seriously damage the UK’s economic position, I.e. they can’t afford to let this happen.

I agree 100% ! . There isn't a snowball's hope in hell of the BoE base rate even getting to 3% let alone above. The 2.4Tr and growing national debt is forecasted(optimisticaly imv) to cost £87B in interest alone in the current year, up from £70B last year and £35B the year before that. To put these figures into perspective our entire National Defence budget is only £45B..

tyrrell

1,651 posts

195 months

Friday 29th July 2022
quotequote all
Taffy66 said:
garystoybox said:

I agree 100% ! . There isn't a snowball's hope in hell of the BoE base rate even getting to 3% let alone above. The 2.4Tr and growing national debt is forecasted(optimisticaly imv) to cost £87B in interest alone in the current year, up from £70B last year and £35B the year before that. To put these figures into perspective our entire National Defence budget is only £45B..
Yes the patient is already in A&E and about to go into cardiac arrest, so can’t see base rate at more than 2.5% to be honest.

If you can afford a car costing £150k and above, the fact that your gas and electric has gone up buy £200 a month and the thing now costs another £100 a month to fill up are a total irrelevances in the grand scheme of things.

TBCReece

1,364 posts

76 months

Friday 29th July 2022
quotequote all
One thing to add re: 720S coupes is the number for sale.

In mid August 2021 on Autotrader, there were only 13 advertised. Roll on roughly a year to 2022 and today it is 48.

Edited by TBCReece on Friday 29th July 12:05

Chris355

740 posts

183 months

Friday 10th March
quotequote all
Crystal balls weren’t working last year. Interest rates at 4% and likely to go higher!

PGNSagaris

2,821 posts

153 months

Friday 10th March
quotequote all
tyrrell said:
Taffy66 said:
garystoybox said:
Don’t want to take this further off topic, but the chances of rates going much over 3% are slim to none.

I agree 100% ! . There isn't a snowball's hope in hell of the BoE base rate even getting to 3% let alone above.
can’t see base rate at more than 2.5% to be honest.

this has not aged well lol

dng992

69 posts

12 months

Friday 10th March
quotequote all
lol the comments that people buying these kind of cars dont care about spending money is just hilarious

unless you are super wealthy e.g. few mil networth, then interest rates /macro affect everyone. those kind of people are not browsing PH forum lol they are just buying new and not caring

to get to that financial freedom position you have to be prudent , so no idea why people frown on people looking to get the best deals lol. meanwhile the car is on finance and ofc they are earning higher with the cash (in this market, imagine haha)

ex-devonpaul

950 posts

124 months

Saturday 11th March
quotequote all
dng992 said:
lol the comments that people buying these kind of cars dont care about spending money is just hilarious

unless you are super wealthy e.g. few mil networth, then interest rates /macro affect everyone. those kind of people are not browsing PH forum lol they are just buying new and not caring

to get to that financial freedom position you have to be prudent , so no idea why people frown on people looking to get the best deals lol. meanwhile the car is on finance and ofc they are earning higher with the cash (in this market, imagine haha)
Anyone with a million or so in Global equities will have lost a fair chunk in the last few weeks, hell they'd have lost £25k yesterday. They'd still be a nice 570 up on where they were in mid Dec though.

And as you say, many of the ones that get to that few mill net worth often get there by relatively modest means and slow but steady accumulation, filling a SIPP or ISA rather than spending 4 figures a month renting a supercar from a finance company. However that sort of mindset is hard to change, they can afford to buy one, but do they see it as value for money?

bigleefish

22 posts

27 months

Saturday 18th March
quotequote all
TBCReece said:
One thing to add re: 720S coupes is the number for sale.

In mid August 2021 on Autotrader, there were only 13 advertised. Roll on roughly a year to 2022 and today it is 48.

Edited by TBCReece on Friday 29th July 12:05
I’d be interested in your view on prices over the last 12 months since this thread as I’m looking at 720s for me now. 58 x 720s on autotrader as I write this…. Cheers

samoht

4,441 posts

133 months

Saturday 18th March
quotequote all
bigleefish said:
I’d be interested in your view on prices over the last 12 months since this thread as I’m looking at 720s for me now. 58 x 720s on autotrader as I write this…. Cheers
I've kept a check on 720S Coupes (only) on AT since 10th Nov last year:
10 Nov 43 listings Median price £155k
Today 40 listings Median price £150k

similar or larger drops in the mean, lowest, highest, 25% and 75% percentile prices since then.

These are all still fairly new cars so I guess a few % depreciation over four months is fairly normal.