Decent red wine for a tenner? (better than Barossa Ink)

Decent red wine for a tenner? (better than Barossa Ink)

Author
Discussion

popegregory

1,299 posts

121 months

Friday 10th March
quotequote all

Found in Sainsbury’s for about seven quid, most acceptable smile

oddman

1,732 posts

239 months

Friday 10th March
quotequote all

Morrisons Barbera d'Asti. Normally £8.00 now £6.50

Slightly hesitant to recommend on this thread but is astonishing value. If you get Italian wines and like the acidity and sour fruit nature, you'll like this. If I'd bought a nebbiolo based wine at triple the price I'd be happy if it tasted like this

Definitely a food wine. Good partner for robust tomato based Italian food

popegregory

1,299 posts

121 months

Saturday 11th March
quotequote all
I love the fact we’re all so tight on here that we’re pointing out discounted ones being under a tenner that were already under a tenner smile

oddman

1,732 posts

239 months

Saturday 11th March
quotequote all
popegregory said:
I love the fact we’re all so tight on here that we’re pointing out discounted ones being under a tenner that were already under a tenner smile
TBF that Barbera I recommended is so good that if came in a bottle with a label from a more distinguished North Italian DOC I wouldn't be sorry to drop £20 on it.

It will appeal to those who 'get' Italian reds. Appreciate that they are not for everyone and there are some shocking examples of poor winemaking from Italy which could put off the less determined drunk Supermarket stocking of Italian wine is no guarantee of quality as it might be for South West France, Portugal or Spain

Stan the Bat

8,073 posts

199 months

Saturday 11th March
quotequote all
"dropping " £20 on a bottle comes over as a bit ................. watch type forum, old chap.

havoc

28,530 posts

222 months

Saturday 11th March
quotequote all
oddman said:
TBF that Barbera I recommended is so good that if came in a bottle with a label from a more distinguished North Italian DOC I wouldn't be sorry to drop £20 on it.

It will appeal to those who 'get' Italian reds. Appreciate that they are not for everyone and there are some shocking examples of poor winemaking from Italy which could put off the less determined drunk Supermarket stocking of Italian wine is no guarantee of quality as it might be for South West France, Portugal or Spain
That's always been my headache when I've tried Italian reds - there's a lot of 'variability' out there, and some of the varieties are only for the determined, IYSWIM.

If I'm out at a decent Italian restaurant, or with my (half-eyetie) best mate who knows his onions (metaphorically), then I'm more relaxed. But I've tended to veer away from them in the supermarket.

LordHaveMurci

11,826 posts

156 months

Saturday 11th March
quotequote all
Not sure what this cost but would’ve been less than £10 from Tesco.
Very agreeable to my uneducated taste, prefer it to Porta etc & even the mighty Barossa Ink!

Big Stevie

566 posts

3 months

Wednesday 15th March
quotequote all
a311 said:
Normally a tenner in tesco but curenelty £8 in with a clubcard. Found this more than decent for the price:

I'm not a wine drinker, but I keep hearing people saying how nice 19 Crimes red wine is. They say that if you scan the QR code on the bottle then you get a video of the criminal telling you what crime they did?

Was in Asda today and they had that ^^ bottle reduced from £10 to £8, so I grabbed one. I'll try it tonight. What's the score with this, open and leave it to breathe for a while first?

madbadger

11,400 posts

231 months

Wednesday 15th March
quotequote all
Big Stevie said:
a311 said:
Normally a tenner in tesco but curenelty £8 in with a clubcard. Found this more than decent for the price:

I'm not a wine drinker, but I keep hearing people saying how nice 19 Crimes red wine is. They say that if you scan the QR code on the bottle then you get a video of the criminal telling you what crime they did?

Was in Asda today and they had that ^^ bottle reduced from £10 to £8, so I grabbed one. I'll try it tonight. What's the score with this, open and leave it to breathe for a while first?
Always worth letting wine breathe. Better if you can decant it too. It will never make it worse. smile

oddman

1,732 posts

239 months

Thursday 16th March
quotequote all
Big Stevie said:

Mass market wines are fined and filtered to within an inch of their lives so no need to 'decant' in the traditional way as there will be no sediment.

As far as airing is concerned, you can invert the bottle over a jug let the contents glug out and pour the wine back into the bottle. Will not do any harm at all and will usually help 'open up' a young wine.

Big Stevie

566 posts

3 months

Thursday 16th March
quotequote all
Well the 19 Crimes was quite nice. I did scan the QR code and the criminal on the bottles label starts talking to you about the crime he committed, which is clever.

dimots

2,473 posts

77 months

Saturday 18th March
quotequote all
Has anyone posted up the M&S La Cascala Passivento Primitivo?

On 1/3 off sale right now £6 something. Really good wine.

sean ie3

1,295 posts

123 months

Sunday 19th March
quotequote all
Probably a tenner in the UK,

reccomended.

Lotobear

4,819 posts

115 months

Yesterday (13:53)
quotequote all
....surely this has to be the thread winner!

a 2016 Chateau Pomerol (14.5%) for £9.99!!

This is a wine that Laithwiates show for £36

The Sancerre was £6.99

Both on special offer at Aldi

I'm trying the Pomerol tonight and I don't expect to be disappointed for £10

DE1975

372 posts

93 months

Yesterday (18:38)
quotequote all
I'm quite a fan of Morrisons Negroamaro for just £7 a bottle.

Their Valpolicella Ripasso for £9 isn't bad either, as a cheaper alternative to Amarone

Chris Stott

10,634 posts

184 months

Yesterday (19:06)
quotequote all
Lotobear said:

The Sancerre was £6.99

Amazing price for that quality… I’d be emptying the shelves of every Aldi in my area.

Given the love for alcoholic ribeana on here (fruity/sweet/no tannins), I reckon most wouldn’t enjoy though.

And £7 for Sancerre… also amazing.

There’s not much I miss about living in the UK, but access to the global wine market is one of them… here in Spain it’s 99% Spanish, and what wines you find from France or Italy are either rubbish, or frighteningly expensive. I have to spend a lot of time trawling the shelves to find something different to Tempranillo.

andyA700

1,944 posts

24 months

Lotobear said:

The Sancerre was £6.99

If this is to be believed then that is very special.

https://www.vivino.com/GB/en/moulinet-pomerol/w/87...

oddman

1,732 posts

239 months

andyA700 said:
Lotobear said:

The Sancerre was £6.99

I was going to post a snotty reply about there being so such thing as 'Chateau Pomerol' assuming you weren't comparing like with like. But it looks like I might have to have a sniff about in the local Aldi for Chateau Moulinet. There's also a Margaux on offer - Chateau d'Arsac which I can't find elsewhere for less than £26. A nice Pomerol and a nice Margaux are almost perfect for showing what Bordeaux can do with its two main grape varieties. Neither will be in Ribena territory and maybe a bit austere at this age

Lotobear

4,819 posts

115 months

Opened the Pomerol last night - decanted and let it air for a few hours.

What a classy wine, though I reckon it needs a bit more aging. I'm going to trawl my local Aldis today to see if I can gather a few more up to lay down.

As others have observed if 19 Crimes / Australian Shiraz floats your boat this is not for you but at the price point its a genuine steal.

I bought 12 of the Aldi 2018 Amarone earlier this year to lay down (though drinking well now) and a few of these will be joining them.

Lotobear

4,819 posts

115 months

oddman said:
andyA700 said:
Lotobear said:

The Sancerre was £6.99

I was going to post a snotty reply about there being so such thing as 'Chateau Pomerol' assuming you weren't comparing like with like. But it looks like I might have to have a sniff about in the local Aldi for Chateau Moulinet. There's also a Margaux on offer - Chateau d'Arsac which I can't find elsewhere for less than £26. A nice Pomerol and a nice Margaux are almost perfect for showing what Bordeaux can do with its two main grape varieties. Neither will be in Ribena territory and maybe a bit austere at this age
Mea Culpa, but you knew what I meant!

...and you were right about it needing time