Author
Discussion

neil-c

Original Poster:

440 posts

168 months

Yesterday (23:36)
quotequote all
Looking for a golf for the missus. Was looking for a mk7 but mk8 prices don’t seem that far off now. The car I’m looking at is a 2021 model but I seem to recall a lot of tech issues and complaints about the infotainment at launch. There is some online discussion about software updates etc but would appreciate any feedback from owners about living with the car. It would probably be the 1.5 tsi that would be of interest.

Grumps.

2,390 posts

23 months

Personally I would avoid it.

From what I have learnt, the early MIB units were bug ridden which they have now supposedly sorted with the newer ones but the older units cannot be replaced with the newer versions due to compatibility issues.

RayDonovan

3,115 posts

202 months

Make sure she drives the 1.5, especially if it's a DSG box.
My Wife hated mine, sluggish and just a little slow..

sam.rog

507 posts

65 months

There is a reason why they are closely priced. The early mk8 were a disaster. Bugs galore in the infotainment system that as far as I’m aware are yet to be resolved.
It will be a stinking turd of a car to sell as everyone will be avoiding them.
The mk7.5 is a much better car and personally I’d go for one of them.

simonwhite2000

2,288 posts

84 months

As someone who took delivery of a mk8 GTI CS in late Oct 2022, I have experienced virtually no issues that seemed to have plagued the early cars. I did own a mk7 R manual between 2014 and 2016 so can make a comparison.

I would recommend a mk7.5 personally. Build/perceived quality has definitely dropped a bit for the mk8 without question and the interior is more functional and nicer to look and touch in the mk7. Too much shiny black plastic in the mk8.

The mk8 certainly in GTI CS spec is a fantastic car to drive - more nimble and fun that the R was - but I would still for a mk7.5,

I went for the 8 as I needed a new lease and the deal at the time was a good one via Arval at £351 a month on a 1x35 8k miles and maintenance with the 19" wheels. Decent for a GTI CS.