Author
Discussion

hilly10

Original Poster:

6,582 posts

215 months

Monday 6th March
quotequote all
After yesterday’s race and then comments coming out of the Mercedes camp that Verstappen should win all 24 races,then it looks like the only real racing will be middle order battles. I have cancelled my subscription anyone else

KarlMac

3,882 posts

128 months

Monday 6th March
quotequote all
To be fair I normally only watch the highlights on the F1 YouTube channel. Even that was a hard watch yesterday.

Alonso was a great story, fingers crossed it can carry on through a few more races.

2fast748

1,027 posts

182 months

Monday 6th March
quotequote all
I listened live on 5Live yesterday for the first hour because the highlights were on a bit too late for me, I would have listened to the end probably but we had visitors!

I will probably stay in touch with the season but not sure how much of it I will go out of my way to watch/listen to.

I didn't watch most of the Schuey years at Ferrari either.

And I say this as someone who actually attended many GPs at Silverstone.

Dashnine

951 posts

37 months

Monday 6th March
quotequote all
Depends if you're only really interested in who wins, I thought the various battles throughout were great primarily the ones involving Alonso.

It'd a bit like a football match can be a great match even with no goals, to others it's just boring.

Jasandjules

68,607 posts

216 months

Monday 6th March
quotequote all
I cancelled my Sky F1 a while ago, the FIA made it untenable to consider it a sport and justify the costs of it.

Yesterday I did not even manage to get home for the start of the race, previously I would have moved mountains to ensure I was home an hour before the start to watch the build up etc. I watched the last hour (which was pretty lucky given it was Alonso battling)

So I watch it, but not like before.

LukeBrown66

3,763 posts

33 months

Monday 6th March
quotequote all
The only way tings change bis if f1 starts to lose money from subscribers.

I cannot see that happening as Netflix brings new popcorn eaters to the sport every few weeks.

If you dont watch it, nothing happens as you have already paid perhaps.

if people do not go to GP's it will change but I do not see that as most places sell out, at vastly inflated prices now

The only way it changes is if people stop attending races live and stop subscribing to anything linked to the sport be it tv subs or direct.

And I do not see that happening.

It should but it will not, because well 5 million people a day used to BUY the Sun! people.

MrBig

2,228 posts

116 months

Monday 6th March
quotequote all
No, I will still be watching. But then I didn't throw my toys out of the pram during the era of Mercedes/Hamilton dominance either.

Sandpit Steve

7,618 posts

61 months

Monday 6th March
quotequote all
LukeBrown66 said:
The only way tings change bis if f1 starts to lose money from subscribers.

I cannot see that happening as Netflix brings new popcorn eaters to the sport every few weeks.

If you dont watch it, nothing happens as you have already paid perhaps.

if people do not go to GP's it will change but I do not see that as most places sell out, at vastly inflated prices now

The only way it changes is if people stop attending races live and stop subscribing to anything linked to the sport be it tv subs or direct.

And I do not see that happening.

It should but it will not, because well 5 million people a day used to BUY the Sun! people.
I think Baku is the only race in the first half of the season, for which tickets are still available. Singapore and Qatar will be hoping there’s still a championship to be fought, by the second half. Abu Dhabi will be splashing out on the concert artists, and upselling the theme parks, golf, and beach holidays.

abzmike

6,740 posts

93 months

Monday 6th March
quotequote all
Were there similar grumblings when Mercedes were thumping all around them for 5 years?

carinaman

19,655 posts

159 months

Monday 6th March
quotequote all
If Alonso and Hamilton continue to race each other like that I will.

2023 - The season we got to see what Alonso can do in a competitive car. And find out how good Lance Stroll can be.

Muzzer79

7,728 posts

174 months

Monday 6th March
quotequote all
hilly10 said:
After yesterday’s race and then comments coming out of the Mercedes camp that Verstappen should win all 24 races,then it looks like the only real racing will be middle order battles. I have cancelled my subscription anyone else
You cancelled your subscription after the first race of the season? Based on that one race and comments from Mercedes?

I mean....it looks bleak in terms of competitiveness but let's give it a bit of a chance.

To answer your question, if there's further Red Bull dominance, I will much more likely revert to my year 2010-2013 tactic of recording the race live and only actually watching it if I know something interesting happens.

But I'd actually be surprised if F1 allowed Red Bull to dominate in such a fashion.

Think about all those new fans off the back of Netflix - are the Johnsons from middle America going to watch a race series where the same guy/team win every race? I don't think so.

2021 showed the lengths they'll go to in order to make it a 'show'

//j17

4,150 posts

210 months

Monday 6th March
quotequote all
Muzzer79 said:
But I'd actually be surprised if F1 allowed Red Bull to dominate in such a fashion.
Yea, F1 will do what F1 has always done - shoot itself in the foot over, and over again.

1. Change the rules.
2. Be suprised that one team guesses batter than the rest so dominates.
3. Panic and start working on changing the rules again.
4. A few seasons later, just as other teams have closed the gap go back to 1.

I watched F1 for 40 years but just gave up after the farce of the '21 season and knowing there were new rules coming in for '22 so we'd be back to one team or another dominating for 3 or 4 years (before the others caught up...just in time for the new, new rules to come in in '26!).

Sandpit Steve

7,618 posts

61 months

Monday 6th March
quotequote all
abzmike said:
Were there similar grumblings when Mercedes were thumping all around them for 5 years?
Even when Mercedes were at their most dominant, they had two drivers fighting each other tooth and nail, with the drivers’ championship direction uncertain until late in the season, and more than a few incidents between the contenders along the way. When Rosberg walked away and was replaced by Bottas, Ferrari were up to the challenge.

This is more like watching the Schumacher-era Ferrai dominance, where you knew the result before the weekend started. Yes, a good midfield fight can go some way to making up for boredom in the lead - at least with the hardcore fans - but millions of people will still be switching off.

hilly10

Original Poster:

6,582 posts

215 months

Monday 6th March
quotequote all
Muzzer79 said:
You cancelled your subscription after the first race of the season? Based on that one race and comments from Mercedes?

I mean....it looks bleak in terms of competitiveness but let's give it a bit of a chance.

To answer your question, if there's further Red Bull dominance, I will much more likely revert to my year 2010-2013 tactic of recording the race live and only actually watching it if I know something interesting happens.

Think about all those new fans off the back of Netflix - are the Johnsons from middle America going to watch a race series where the same guy/team win every race? I don't think so.

2021 showed the lengths they'll go to in order to make it a 'show'

Not totally on this result. I had looked long and hard at the season build up, this race just confirmed my suspicions. No way will I miss it

MCBrowncoat

697 posts

133 months

Monday 6th March
quotequote all
I cancelled my NOW TV subscription in about December. Partly it was because I was getting bored of F1, but also I was a bit surprised how much I was paying for it, and it didn't seem worth it.

I'm actually pleased that this seems to be the right decision! I've been watching F1 for more than 30 years (it's difficult to remember how much I was watching in the early days because coverage wasn't as complete back then) I can honestly say, even outside of F1, and in terms of just sports, I can't think of anything I've seen that is so much of a foregone conclusion as Max winning three. The only comparison I can think that comes close is Nadal in his pomp at Roland Garros. And to be fair, that's a knockout competition so there is always trepidation. Max can afford a few slip up and win this at a canter

It doesn't help that they've actually said they've got plenty in reserve - and the aforementioned "could win every GP". I think that's a little far fetched for sure, but Max will win let's say, at least 14 GP's this season. And Checo is firmly second too, which is comfortably ahead of where he was LY

Lewis' wins didn't have this, there was always threat from Nico and yes, Bottas for a good portion, and of course Vettel a couple of times. Where we honestly didn't know until Lewis turned the screw after the summer break/Ferrari got dialled down.

And this isn't a Max vs. Lewis thing, I've sat through many a year where there wasn't a hope of a British driver winning the WC. I actually quite like Horner too.

But this as close to certain as anything I've seen. Honestly - I don't know why people are still watching it. It makes no sense to me. I don't get the "But the midfield battles!" crap either. Not unless you gamble or something? Seems bizarre to me

I'll keep an eye on the results and if I hear there was a fun, classic race, then I might watch highlights, but for NOW? No, glad I'm not forking out for that anymore. I'll use the time for DIY instead.

Pixel Pusher

10,135 posts

146 months

Monday 6th March
quotequote all
I haven't watched a single F1 race since 12-12-21 as that farce just made me fall out of love with it.

A previous poster mentioned about not grumbling when Lewis winning all the time. I had no issue with that as being British I always like to see British sports people excelling and make no apology for being partisan.

The Red Bull management & Verstappen are just detestable though.

oyster

11,878 posts

235 months

Monday 6th March
quotequote all
The biggest irony in the OP, and a couple of other supporting posts, is that the driver we probably saw least of yesterday was Verstappen!

kambites

65,755 posts

208 months

Monday 6th March
quotequote all
I intend to just ignore the front two spots - the race for "best of the rest" looks like it will be fascinating this year.

Eric Mc

119,294 posts

252 months

Monday 6th March
quotequote all
I've followed F1 since the mid 1960s (when it was hardly on TV at all). The intensity of my interest peaked in the Senna, Mansell, Prost, Hill era but began to slide with the advent of Michael Schumacher.

However, I have never completely abandoned my interest in it but I follow it in a very much less intense way than I used to.

BoRED S2upid

18,321 posts

227 months

Monday 6th March
quotequote all
MrBig said:
No, I will still be watching. But then I didn't throw my toys out of the pram during the era of Mercedes/Hamilton dominance either.
Or buttons win! F1 has always had dominant teams throughout history doesn’t mean you shouldn’t still watch.

I don’t think they will win all 24 races IMO.