Slow bathroom sink drain

Author
Discussion

Sideways Tim

Original Poster:

772 posts

173 months

My sink is really slow to empty, due I think to a build up of the Gillette shaving gel that I use. I've tried HG drain cleaner and baking soda and white vinegar and both help a little, but it soon clogs again. I can't rod the pipes out as they're behind a wall.

Have you come across any product that might do a better job?

Bannock

1,919 posts

17 months

Gotta be caustic soda.

dontlookdown

1,287 posts

80 months

Mr Muscle Drain Gel is surprisingly effective. Has to be the gel stuff. Leave it overnight.

Bannock

1,919 posts

17 months

dontlookdown said:
Mr Muscle Drain Gel is surprisingly effective. Has to be the gel stuff. Leave it overnight.
User name checks out.

crankedup5

5,979 posts

22 months

dontlookdown said:
+1 but must leave overnight to work effectively.

bigandclever

13,218 posts

225 months

I go mad on mine with a toilet plunger and a sink full of hot water. Always works.

Riff Raff

4,867 posts

182 months

You could try one of these. Pump action Drain Blaster.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Pump-Action-Drain-...

Sideways Tim

Original Poster:

772 posts

173 months

Riff Raff said:
You could try one of these. Pump action Drain Blaster.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Pump-Action-Drain-...
I've tried one of those a few times. Will give Mr Muscle a shot.

Baldchap

6,373 posts

79 months

As an aside, have you considered shaving in the shower? I'd imagine the additional hot water would stop the gel from furring up the pipes and you don't get a stubbly sink.

Gin and Ultrasonic

145 posts

26 months

Pro Kleen Sink and Drain blitz is by far the best stuff I've used for doing this. Leave overnight and pour a kettle of boiling water down the plughole the next day.

Wildfire

9,658 posts

239 months

Bannock said:
Gotta be caustic soda.
Yep. That's what I use.

rewild

2,914 posts

126 months

Remove and clean everything you can get to. Pipes might be in the walls, but is the u-bend/bottle trap underneath not accessible? Stick a bucket under, unscrew everything and scrape it all out. If nothing else it'll make your chemical gels more effective further along the pipes.