Author
Discussion

Liamelliott

Original Poster:

5 posts

67 months

Tuesday 14th March
quotequote all
Hi, would like a rough diagnosis if possible. Just started what was supposed to be a 600 mile journey in my camper, 3 miles in and the car was making weird whining a clunky sounds, then it felt as though something went, so I turned off the road and as I turned it felt like the brakes were pushed really hard. I got out checked the engine, nothing to see really, weirdly the windscreen washer bottle was leaking water? I managed to drive it further up the road to leave it until later. The van drives but there’s lot of noises and quite bad vibrations, seems to go into all the gears as normal, I drove it about 100 yards before it felt as though it stalled and slammed the brakes on again, then I smelt a slight clutchy kind of smell. As you can tell I’m no expert, would just like a guess at what part of the system went wrong so I can do some more research. Thanks a lot for any help.

LunarOne

3,851 posts

124 months

Tuesday 14th March
quotequote all
Top lurkathon.

Sounds like you've either had a piston or rod break, or a cylinder isn't firing. Your van probably didn't take kindly to being called "car". Is it petrol or diesel? If petrol, let it idle and pull each spark plug cable. If one of them makes no difference, then it could be a bad plug, cable or ignition. Very difficult to say with so little information. Don't you have any mechanically inclined friends who can take a look?

Liamelliott

Original Poster:

5 posts

67 months

Tuesday 14th March
quotequote all
Hi, thanks for your reply, I’ll make sure to apologies to my van when I go recover it later lol. It’s a petrol, so let it idle and then take out each spark plug and see if the engines idle changes? And if it’s not spark plug I have a much bigger problem I presume. I’ve done some research on what you said and the symptoms do sound very similar, unfortunately don’t have any mechanic friends here in Portugal.

Liamelliott

Original Poster:

5 posts

67 months

Tuesday 14th March
quotequote all
Have some more symptoms.. just went to go and tow it home and had to bail after about 20 metres as the brakes don’t feel like they’re working much, also a lot of grinding noise while rolling without the engine on. tried to reverse it back to a safe spot and the rear wheels keep locking up..

gazza285

9,054 posts

195 months

Wednesday 15th March
quotequote all
Sounds like the brake shoes have delaminated, time to strip and rebuild the rear brakes.

E-bmw

7,835 posts

139 months

Wednesday 15th March
quotequote all
It sounds like you could also have something major going on in the drivetrain department.

I would get it recovered before trying any more as you clearly need someone who knows what they are looking at to diagnose it further.

To me the telling part that you mention is "weirdly the washer fluid bottle is leaking" that makes me wonder if the closest wheel to it has something mike a collapsed wheel bearing & it has "taken out" the washer bottle.

Edited by E-bmw on Wednesday 15th March 08:05

jeremyh1

1,149 posts

114 months

Friday 17th March
quotequote all
E-bmw said:
It sounds like you could also have something major going on in the drivetrain department.

I would get it recovered before trying any more as you clearly need someone who knows what they are looking at to diagnose it further.

To me the telling part that you mention is "weirdly the washer fluid bottle is leaking" that makes me wonder if the closest wheel to it has something mike a collapsed wheel bearing & it has "taken out" the washer bottle.

Edited by E-bmw on Wednesday 15th March 08:05
I agree I would say the wheel bearing it may even be the original bearing It may have seized
is it still doing it in neutral and with the clutch in with the engine running .

Back in the day we had a couple of these. They were good and if you take care of it and try and fight the rust it should be a trustworthy camper as a rule

Liamelliott

Original Poster:

5 posts

67 months

Friday 17th March
quotequote all
The washer fluid turned out to just have a hairline crack in, had recently topped it up so the added weight on 30 year old plastic had caused a bit of strain on it. When I’m neutral the engine sounds fine, clutch is fine also. I had it recovered and just having it dragged onto the truck the rear wheels were seizing up so I’m wondering if it’s the rear drums, I think they are original and the brakes have always been bad since owning it, the brakes felt non existent when I attempted to tow it home. Appreciate everyone’s replies, super helpful 👍🏽

gazza285

9,054 posts

195 months

What was the verdict then?

Liamelliott

Original Poster:

5 posts

67 months

Not sure yet, it’s just a side project so not in a rush to fix it, will post when the time comes to sort out the old bag of st