Discussion

SturdyHSV

9,736 posts

154 months

Monday 9th January
quotequote all
pistolpete12 said:
Glad you said that.. I collect thursday smile

Its solid but i expect it will need work, its a toy so going in eye open...
Niiiiice beer

Look forward to hearing how you get on with it!

pistolpete12

Original Poster:

315 posts

140 months

Monday 9th January
quotequote all
Thank you. I am sure i am going to have so many questions, coming from nimble/ high power jap stuff, this is definitely going to be a new experience

but i always try and learn as much as i can with new cars, expand my knowledge etc so i can help other later. I will be doing all work myself so i will do a readers ride thread smile
now to start the annoying new owner questions, sorry

Oil, What type, and how much
oil filter, what one, where from?
oil change guessing is pretty easy
General spares, best place to go to?
Pedders best place for suspension

lastly,
where to get the holden badges, and can i change the dash to say holden on start up?

thanks

sorry this will be the first on several annoying questions

TikTak

49 posts

6 months

Monday 9th January
quotequote all
pistolpete12 said:
Don't panic. I've got them too 3 months in.

biggrin

pistolpete12

Original Poster:

315 posts

140 months

Monday 9th January
quotequote all
TikTak said:
Don't panic. I've got them too 3 months in.

biggrin
smilesmile

SturdyHSV

9,736 posts

154 months

Tuesday 10th January
quotequote all
pistolpete12 said:
Thank you. I am sure i am going to have so many questions, coming from nimble/ high power jap stuff, this is definitely going to be a new experience

but i always try and learn as much as i can with new cars, expand my knowledge etc so i can help other later. I will be doing all work myself so i will do a readers ride thread smile
now to start the annoying new owner questions, sorry

Oil, What type, and how much
oil filter, what one, where from?
oil change guessing is pretty easy
General spares, best place to go to?
Pedders best place for suspension

lastly,
where to get the holden badges, and can i change the dash to say holden on start up?

thanks

5w30, lots of people use Royal Purple, but any decent quality stuff will do, these aren't precious engines.

I forget the part number, personally I just always phone AAS (Advanced Auto Systems) who are up in Newcastle but are a Royal Purple distributor in the UK, Stuart and the guys have worked on Monaros / VXR8s for years, just tell him what you have (LS1 Monaro) and he'll sort you the right filter and right amount of oil delivered next day hehe

Yes oil change is as simple as you'd expect. It's considered 'nice' to pre-fill the new filter before putting it on but you probably knew that anyway!

General spares, RockAuto is excellent, use the FedEx shipping that includes VAT / Duty at checkout, arrives in a few working days. search for 2004 Pontiac GTO and fill yer boots. Pedders good for quick local suspension stuff, decent quality and a well trodden path. Also LS Performance (Carl Herkes and co on facebook probably easiest way), Walkinshaw Performance for a more official route, as you're down south then NWJ Autocare (neiljohnson on PH) has handled loads of Monaros and is well recommended if you need an experienced eye to look at anything.

Whiteline do a lot of suspension bits too, LS Performance have that stuff in stock.

Holden badges may have to be an ebay Australia job, maybe ask James Bull down at Elite Car Company, he sometimes has some of those things around.

You can change the dash to say Holden, you'll need to make up a cable and download some basic software to do it but it's free and easy enough thumbup

EDIT:

Should say there's quite a bit of info in the FAQs too, although a lot may be out of date, but has things like part numbers for odd bits and so on.

Edited by SturdyHSV on Tuesday 10th January 14:24

fred bloggs

1,146 posts

187 months

Tuesday 10th January
quotequote all
Just don't go by the dipstick, put 7 Litres in if you intend to drive hard.

pistolpete12

Original Poster:

315 posts

140 months

Tuesday 10th January
quotequote all
brilliant many thanks
Ill go hunting for those companies.
NWJ is the guy who has looked after this car so far, so will be good to keep in touch with him

many thanks again

pistolpete12

Original Poster:

315 posts

140 months

Wednesday 11th January
quotequote all
SturdyHSV said:
5w30, lots of people use Royal Purple, but any decent quality stuff will do, these aren't precious engines.

I forget the part number, personally I just always phone AAS (Advanced Auto Systems) who are up in Newcastle but are a Royal Purple distributor in the UK, Stuart and the guys have worked on Monaros / VXR8s for years, just tell him what you have (LS1 Monaro) and he'll sort you the right filter and right amount of oil delivered next day hehe
Ordered thanks smile

Fatboy

7,823 posts

259 months

Wednesday 11th January
quotequote all
Lincsls1 said:
105.4 said:
I’ve been getting very, very itchy fingers about that one, (the silver one?), as it’s been up on eBay for a while now. Unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately?) I’ve been that bloody busy with work over the last 3-4 months I haven’t had the time for car shopping.

May I ask, what are your thoughts on it? It looks to have had quite a lot of money spent on it and quite a lot of mods done to it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234843215048?mkcid=16&a...
My thoughts.
In terms of engine work done, the 6 speed auto and other bits the car is well worth the money assuming in the flesh it is all clean, tidy, not rotten and it all works properly.
The engine spec is very good, its a relatively mild cam so should have good manners and its also had all the supporting mods. I'd say that engine is probably worth £6k on its own.
The advert reads very well, its worth noting that he's had it advertised for less too, so I would be offering less.
I'd toyed with the idea of buying it (aiming for £10k), doing a straight engine swap into my 5.7 VXR and then selling the Lumina on again for something like £7k. I'd guess this would be cheaper than have the same engine work done to mine.
Be brave, go and have a look! smile
That does look nice, I loved my VT2... Still pains me I had to scrap it, if only I'd had the time/funds to fix the shell /re-shell it..

pistolpete12

Original Poster:

315 posts

140 months

Thursday 12th January
quotequote all
I have Its
It's amazing..

Lincsls1

2,894 posts

127 months

Thursday 12th January
quotequote all
pistolpete12 said:
I have Its
It's amazing..
Congratulations! beer
What are your initial plans?

SturdyHSV

9,736 posts

154 months

Friday 13th January
quotequote all
Lincsls1 said:
pistolpete12 said:
I have Its
It's amazing..
Congratulations! beer
bounce

Woo! Pics, details, thoughts, plans, let's go! smile

pistolpete12

Original Poster:

315 posts

140 months

Friday 13th January
quotequote all
Lincsls1 said:
Congratulations! beer
Drive it ...

pistolpete12

Original Poster:

315 posts

140 months

Friday 13th January
quotequote all
SturdyHSV said:
bounce

Woo! Pics, details, thoughts, plans, let's go! smile
Yep I'll sort while I'm at work later.

DodgyGeezer

35,092 posts

177 months

Friday 13th January
quotequote all
pistolpete12 said:
Lincsls1 said:
Drive it ...
hehe

pistolpete12

Original Poster:

315 posts

140 months

ShavedBadger

20 posts

124 months

Wednesday 18th January
quotequote all
pistolpete12 said:
lastly,

thanks

Here's the application you want - can also do useful stuff like change the temperature gauge to more accurately reflect temps.

http://1337vending.com/vzclustermod/

99PBATR

478 posts

65 months

Monday 23rd January
quotequote all
SturdyHSV said:
How fking good does this look? Probably the best looking CV8 over here, it just sits so right.

Looks like from the Caffeine & Machine meet we had a few years ago?

99PBATR

478 posts

65 months

Monday 23rd January
quotequote all
What's your car history Pete?

pistolpete12

Original Poster:

315 posts

140 months

Tuesday 24th January
quotequote all
ShavedBadger said:
Here's the application you want - can also do useful stuff like change the temperature gauge to more accurately reflect temps.

http://1337vending.com/vzclustermod/
Cheers smile Ill investigate smile