The Under £200ish Watch and occasional Opera Thread! Vol2

Author
Discussion

Alex_225

5,529 posts

188 months

Kes Arevo said:
Alex_225 said:
I have five or six SKMEI watches and for the money you really can't beat them. The only one I had an issue with, was a digital whereby the backlight button was a bit iffy. Still worked but occasionally flickered when you used it. Otherwise thought I can't fault them. I have two of these Royale style ones, this and a green one. I'd say the quality is easily comparable to the Casio version (I have two) but at £8.50 these are a steal.

Reviews online are that they are good, especially for the price. Shall look at maybe getting a few. Was just looking at their C20 watch, which looks natty.
Yeah I really can't fault it. On Amazon they sell for around £20 which when the actual Casio is only £35 doesn't seem worth it but from AliExpress they're worth a shot. I'd say the backlight is better than the Casio too.

I've seen the C20 but not really looked into it, might have a look on Youtube see if any reviews come up.

Bobberoo

Original Poster:

33,896 posts

85 months

BrokenSkunk said:
gregs656 said:
What I'd have liked is a Tissot PR50

They do come up for sale in thread budget, but they're not common

I found an older version 'Titanium 7', like this one

The quality difference between these two models is astounding. The second one is a T690.
I have a couple of T660s, same case as the second of those. In fact I have owned three. A T660 is an awesome thing. A dress watch with the water resistance of a diver that took the abuse you'd reserve for your least favourite G-shock, and still looked like new. It is light and extremely comfortable. There's a chrono as well, T670.

I handled one of those PR50Ts when they were new. In comparison it felt cheap and nasty. The bracelet felt unfinished, coarse edges and rattly. I mean, it was OK, but didn't hold a candle to the T660.

That said, the T660 will be way to small for Bobbers. I'd suggest the later, larger models T760 , T770, T790, not as comfortable as the T6x0, but still far nicer than the PR50T.

Hmmn, ^^just read that back. I think it may be time to seek addiction counselling.
Fantastic knowledge, gained from years of in depth research!!! yes

Kes Arevo

2,584 posts

26 months

Alex_225 said:
Yeah I really can't fault it. On Amazon they sell for around £20 which when the actual Casio is only £35 doesn't seem worth it but from AliExpress they're worth a shot. I'd say the backlight is better than the Casio too.

I've seen the C20 but not really looked into it, might have a look on Youtube see if any reviews come up.
The 2 that peaked my interest...

gregs656

10,094 posts

168 months

BrokenSkunk said:
The quality difference between these two models is astounding. The second one is a T690.
I have a couple of T660s, same case as the second of those. In fact I have owned three. A T660 is an awesome thing. A dress watch with the water resistance of a diver that took the abuse you'd reserve for your least favourite G-shock, and still looked like new. It is light and extremely comfortable. There's a chrono as well, T670.

I handled one of those PR50Ts when they were new. In comparison it felt cheap and nasty. The bracelet felt unfinished, coarse edges and rattly. I mean, it was OK, but didn't hold a candle to the T660.

That said, the T660 will be way to small for Bobbers. I'd suggest the later, larger models T760 , T770, T790, not as comfortable as the T6x0, but still far nicer than the PR50T.

Hmmn, ^^just read that back. I think it may be time to seek addiction counselling.
Thanks for that. I think it was a T790 and a PR50 that I saw a few months a go at RedBar. Not sure why but I stupidly didn’t take pictures I just took screen shots of the google searches I made.

I’ll keep an eye out for a 790.

It would be easy to go deep on watches with this module if you wanted to. There is quite a variety.

What size is the case of the 6XX models? The internet suggests everything from 34 to 38mm.

BrokenSkunk

4,274 posts

237 months

Just measured one of my T660s (the one currently in use for shed construction):
From 2 to 8, 36mm
From 9 to tip of crown 40mm.
Lug pin to lug pin 38mm
Lug to lug 42mm.
Bracelet width at watch head 19mm.
Crystal opening / face daimeter 27mm.
Thickness 9.4mm

BrokenSkunk

4,274 posts

237 months

gregs656 said:
I’ll keep an eye out for a 790.
There's a T775 on ebay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134322321732

The Tx90 Tx70 has two LCD windows, four pushers and an alarm. Tx75 was two pushers, no LCD and a chrono.
The ebay one isn't quite right. Bezel and centre links should be a mirror finish, like the T690 you pictured above. This one has been brushed.

The T7xx series have a much stiffer bracelet than the T6xx. You can lay a T6xx flat, but a T7xx bracelet never loses it's round shape. Not uncomfortable, just different.

Edit: correction in bold.

Edited by BrokenSkunk on Monday 20th March 21:46

gregs656

10,094 posts

168 months

BrokenSkunk said:
There's a T775 on ebay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134322321732

The Tx90 has two LCD windows, four pushers and an alarm. Tx75 was two pushers, no LCD and a chrono.
The ebay one isn't quite right. Bezel and centre links should be a mirror finish, like the T690 you pictured above. This one has been brushed.

The T7xx series have a much stiffer bracelet than the T6xx. You can lay a T6xx flat, but a T7xx bracelet never loses it's round shape. Not uncomfortable, just different.
Thanks for the dimensions. 36mm is fine.

The Tx90 don't have pushers, the module is operated from the crown. When they moved to T-Touch they all got pushers.

It is the eta 988.333 that piqued my interest.

BrokenSkunk

4,274 posts

237 months

gregs656 said:
BrokenSkunk said:
The Tx90 Tx70 has two LCD windows, four pushers and an alarm. Tx75 was two pushers, no LCD and a chrono.
The Tx90 don't have pushers, the module is operated from the crown. When they moved to T-Touch they all got pushers.

It is the eta 988.333 that piqued my interest.
You're quite correct, not sure if it was a typo or a brain fart on my part. ^^ corrected^^

gregs656

10,094 posts

168 months

BrokenSkunk said:
You're quite correct, not sure if it was a typo or a brain fart on my part. ^^ corrected^^
Looks like they are pretty easy to set at least.

not going to be here for a while annoyingly, if the shipping information is accurate anyway. Could be weeks.

TheThing

876 posts

121 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
Alex_225 said:
Kes Arevo said:
magpie215 said:

Had mine for a while now been my goto watch when destruction could occur......holding up well so far.
Seen these flag up on ads and what nots, so what's the verdict? They do some nice looking ones for basically peanuts!

What's the worst that could happen?
I have five or six SKMEI watches and for the money you really can't beat them. The only one I had an issue with, was a digital whereby the backlight button was a bit iffy. Still worked but occasionally flickered when you used it. Otherwise thought I can't fault them. I have two of these Royale style ones, this and a green one. I'd say the quality is easily comparable to the Casio version (I have two) but at £8.50 these are a steal.

I've got a thing for cheap Casio watches at the moment.

Kes Arevo

2,584 posts

26 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
I'd somebody say cheap Casio?

I've a nice Tag Heuer aquaracer, a Seiko auto, 2 G-shocks, and I wear the cheapest watch I own all the time!

TheThing

876 posts

121 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
Liking the retro stainless casio above. Recently ordered the Casio Mission Impossible watch. Ugly as sin and all the better for it. Should be here within the next week or so. Picture from Google.

Edited by TheThing on Tuesday 21st March 16:30

Drooles

1,216 posts

43 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
TheThing said:
Liking the retro stainless casio above. Recently ordered the Casio Mission Impossible watch. Ugly as sin and all the better for it. Should be here within the next week or so. Picture from Google.

Edited by TheThing on Tuesday 21st March 16:30
Love that! Off now to Google…

Kes Arevo

2,584 posts

26 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
I could spend all day browsing Casio watches.

blue_haddock

2,473 posts

54 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
I can top trump all you guys with the Casio royal.

May I present to you the synoke royal, all £2 of it delivered from China!

So glad my AD gave me this opportunity, I'm sure I'll wear it in good health and give it plenty of wrist time.

CharlesdeGaulle

23,695 posts

167 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
The first of the replacements following the recent theft of my stuff. My one remaining watch - the one I was wearing on holiday when the scrotes broke in - is a Spinnaker and I'm really pleased with it. This came in at €228, so in budget.

Bobberoo

Original Poster:

33,896 posts

85 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
CharlesdeGaulle said:
The first of the replacements following the recent theft of my stuff. My one remaining watch - the one I was wearing on holiday when the scrotes broke in - is a Spinnaker and I'm really pleased with it. This came in at €228, so in budget.

Bradner?
Lovely looking watches!!

2,855 posts

58 months

Wednesday
quotequote all
CharlesdeGaulle said:

I like that. It’s my cup of tea smile

Bobberoo

Original Poster:

33,896 posts

85 months

Wednesday
quotequote all
blue_haddock said:

So glad my AD gave me this opportunity, I'm sure I'll wear it in good health and give it plenty of wrist time.
How many lesser models did you have to buy to be given the opportunity to purchase that?!?!

CharlesdeGaulle

23,695 posts

167 months

Wednesday
quotequote all
Bobberoo said:
blue_haddock said:

How many lesser models did you have to buy to be given the opportunity to purchase that?!?!
And do you have the 'wrist real estate' to carry it off?