RE: Wraith Black Arrow marks end of R-R V12 coupes

Author
Discussion

Missy Charm

469 posts

15 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
The interior is reminiscent of the toilets in an upmarket Turkish restaurant.

RumbleOfThunder

3,456 posts

190 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
BIRMA said:
F1GTRUeno said:
The Wraith is horribly naff anyway but this takes the cake.
Couldn't agree more, I regularly see them being test driven around where I drive, I think they all look hideous. I can appreciate the workmanship but it is a turd of a car.
I think you are both utterly lost biggrin. Is it because they are more attainable than a typical Rolls? Can't be having a working class footballer driving them now can we?

nismo48

2,092 posts

194 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
Great piece of automotive engineering...but the "Banana " contrast is a bit meh...

Portofino

3,852 posts

178 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
Weird one. Bit of a clash between new money & old money.

Namely the engine on the dash, yellow seats & Octavia VRS wheels.

ducnick

1,563 posts

230 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
I suspect Rolls Royce might have slightly misunderstood their target market. Visually this is incredibly appealing to their target audience, but light coloured, perforated seats fail the practicality test. With a smooth, darker hide you can much more easily locate any powder you drop during the nocturnal deals. With bright yellow leather under yellow street lights you will be hard pressed to distinguish a couple of grams of coke from the leather, thus the chance of the semen dripping out your of your hoe ruining your valuable product is greater. You try cleaning that mess out of perforated leather! Otherwise it’s perfect save for the engine art on the gun box. That should be changed to a picture of a gold hand gun.

Edited by ducnick on Tuesday 21st March 10:09

V41LEY

2,808 posts

225 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
I like it for what is. It’s a limited commemorative edition of a car with the final run out of the V12. If you don’t like the yellow tints, seats, the graffiti on the glove box buy a standard Wraith. I don’t particularly like it but that’s OK. PPeople way too hung up and opinionated on PH these days.

Hairymonster

Original Poster:

1,197 posts

92 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
Rolls Royce competing with Mansory

SteveStrange

2,351 posts

200 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
Torn. Love a Wraith in "sensible" colours, proper lottery win car. And the Spectre gives my tinkle a real tingle.

But this one... Jumped the shark, IMO.

Dash looks a mess.
Yellow looks like an illness.
Utterly pointless star/headlining detail. Imagine explaining that to anyone.
Clock detail is just wrong in a car that will get to only just over half that speed.
Half a day spent polishing. Do they mean 12 hours, or half a shift - 4 hours? Big wow, I've spent longer than that polishing a stty old Saab.
This bit is just hilarious: "Black Wood for the doors - of course - albeit made up of ‘over 320 multi-directional and lasered marquetry pieces that mimics the cracked, irregular surface of the Bonneville Salt Flats’." Give the author a course of physio - he must have cringed so hard writing that, that he slipped a disk.

For a car I really like, I appear to really, REALLY hate this version.

SteveStrange

2,351 posts

200 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
AmyRichardson said:
An interior spaced for Roark Junior.
Yellow bd.

TEL555

3 posts

41 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
Does anyone actually know the significance of the yellow? With all the other details, it can't just be because they thought it would be a good idea?

SteveStrange

2,351 posts

200 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
TEL555 said:
Does anyone actually know the significance of the yellow? With all the other details, it can't just be because they thought it would be a good idea?
Guessing it's something to do with this:

"85 years ago, Eyston’s machine was polished aluminium with a black arrow on the side that incorporated a yellow circle."

sinbaddio

2,013 posts

163 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
The interior really is OTT and I love a Wraith!

All sold apparently anyway.

GRANDPRIXCAFENY

3 posts

8 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
can’t think of anything worse than climbing into
a yellow cabin and staring at a yellow steering wheel. I hope RR give the buyer the option to choose their colours at this level of investment.

BFleming

3,342 posts

130 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
MDMA . said:
JumpinJack said:
not a colour scheme I would choose for my Wraith. Got to admire the craftmanship though.

Anyone know why the drivers seat is different to the passengers?
And the drivers side rear too.
From the press release of the previous round of RR's Landspeed specials in 2021...
When creating speed records, veering from a straight line can be disastrous. Eyston’s team painted darkened track lines on the salt surface for the man to follow – effectively his sole means of keeping Thunderbolt straight at over 350 mph (563 km/h).
This simple yet ingenious idea is recalled in the Landspeed Collection by a subtly perforated dark detail in the upper-centre of the steering wheel, which continues through the centre-line of the driver’s seat.

SteveStrange said:
TEL555 said:
Guessing it's something to do with this:

"85 years ago, Eyston’s machine was polished aluminium with a black arrow on the side that incorporated a yellow circle."
Again, from the previous PR...
Thunderbolt was originally left unpainted, which caused an unexpected problem – photo-electric timing equipment were unable to detect the polished aluminium body against the searing white of the Salt Flats’ surface, making accurate timing impossible. Eyston’s simple but brilliant solution was to paint a large black arrow with a yellow circle on the side to heighten visibility at high speed.

Edited by BFleming on Tuesday 21st March 14:54

Julian Scott

1,039 posts

11 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
TEL555 said:
Do you just look at pictures?

Speedgirl

237 posts

154 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
Vile vomit

Mikehig

561 posts

48 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
R-R are highlighting Eyston's record because he used their engines, but that only stood for a year. Then John Cobb overtook it in the Railton Special which also had a pair of aero engines: Napier Lion W12s.
After the war, Cobb and Railton pushed the record to nearly 400 mph. That stood until the mid-60s when Donald Campbell beat it by a few mph with the turbine-powered Bluebird (still using driven wheels).
[Puts anorak back in cupboard]

matra120

7 posts

183 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
See who Rolls Royce copied. 1953 Lancia Aurelia. Uncanny!

wpa1975

5,465 posts

101 months

Wednesday
quotequote all
Awful
Wednesday
quotequote all
Honestly , this is a work of art yes i agree the yellow is abit out of character for Rolls Royce however that's what makes it so unique the level of detail is beyond belief from the door panels to the the starlight's having a different design but they truly have gone all out for the last V12 coupe.