Scottish Referendum / Independence - Vol 11

Author
Discussion

Evercross

4,842 posts

51 months

Yesterday (10:22)
quotequote all
What is the probability of her successor doing an equal hatchet-job on her reputation as she did to Alex Salmond?

Regan - 99%
Forbes - 50/50
Yousef - not a chance.

Viper201

7,250 posts

130 months

Yesterday (10:33)
quotequote all
Today is the very last time the wee dictatoress will do First Minister's questions.

Thank fk.

hidetheelephants

20,332 posts

180 months

Yesterday (10:37)
quotequote all
irc said:
Another ferry scandal. In competent times there are two ferries covering the Corran run. Currently the larger ferry is out of service. The smaller ferry has had a 3.5 ton weight limit put on it. So a huge corner of Scotland has no direct commercial vehicle access.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/23372957.corra...

I wasn't aware of this until I heard a Mull resident in the radio talking about the general issues. She repeated the suggestion that what the islands need is more smaller vessels and more capacity and more frequent services. Not the CalMac model of big ships with extensive crew accomodations and catering.
Corran is run by the council, not Calmac; it really needs a bridge or tunnel across it.

irc

5,289 posts

123 months

Yesterday (11:18)
quotequote all
hidetheelephants said:
irc said:
Another ferry scandal. In competent times there are two ferries covering the Corran run. Currently the larger ferry is out of service. The smaller ferry has had a 3.5 ton weight limit put on it. So a huge corner of Scotland has no direct commercial vehicle access.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/23372957.corra...

I wasn't aware of this until I heard a Mull resident in the radio talking about the general issues. She repeated the suggestion that what the islands need is more smaller vessels and more capacity and more frequent services. Not the CalMac model of big ships with extensive crew accomodations and catering.
Corran is run by the council, not Calmac; it really needs a bridge or tunnel across it.
Indeed, the article refers to Highland Council. But the other issues about Mull - lack of capacity and not frequent enough services are CalMac.

Master Of Puppets

2,716 posts

49 months

Yesterday (13:35)
quotequote all
As ever on a day when other stories are taking precedence the SNP release something in the hope that everyone is looking the other
way, the latest Child poverty rates released today show them at 24%, Child poverty rates in 2007 (when the SNP took office): 24%.

Which once again is par for the course with the First Failure of Scotland.

https://www.holyrood.com/news/view,a-quarter-of-sc...

cuprabob

12,685 posts

201 months

Yesterday (13:38)
quotequote all
Master Of Puppets said:
... the latest Child poverty rates released today show them at 24%, Child poverty rates in 2007 (when the SNP took office): 24%.
To be fair, that is a success for the SNP. They haven't made it worse, like everything else they touched smile

irc

5,289 posts

123 months

Yesterday (13:54)
quotequote all
But I thought baby boxes were the cure?

hiccy18

1,940 posts

54 months

Yesterday (14:15)
quotequote all
irc said:
But I thought baby boxes were the cure?
No, they're the mitigation of the failure of the Scottish government.

ZedLeg

6,548 posts

95 months

Yesterday (14:19)
quotequote all
Poverty has been rising sharply for the last year. I'd be curious to see the whole study to see if it went down and back up.

irc

5,289 posts

123 months

Yesterday (14:19)
quotequote all
hiccy18 said:
No, they're the mitigation of the failure of the Scottish government.
It's easy to crtiticise. They are Nicola's proudest achievement. Handing a box with a few odds and ends out whether anyone needs them or not is the best she has done in almost two decades in govt

I salute her! World peace may have eluded her but at least every baby in Scotland has a dodgy thermometer.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/politics/scot...

Taffer

1,984 posts

184 months

Yesterday (14:24)
quotequote all
irc said:
Indeed, the article refers to Highland Council. But the other issues about Mull - lack of capacity and not frequent enough services are CalMac.
Timetables are drawn up by Transport Scotland, vessels are supplied to the operator by CMAL - Calmac is just the operator and can only play with the toys it's given - Serco, as operators of Northlink, face the same constraints, and would do so if they had won the tender to run Calmac services.

irc

5,289 posts

123 months

Yesterday (14:39)
quotequote all
Taffer said:
Timetables are drawn up by Transport Scotland, vessels are supplied to the operator by CMAL - Calmac is just the operator and can only play with the toys it's given - Serco, as operators of Northlink, face the same constraints, and would do so if they had won the tender to run Calmac services.
I don't think the Islanders care how the Scottish govt chooses to organise the delivery of ferry services. They just want better services. At the end of the day the SNP have been in power long enough to own this problem. They can't blame levers/Toarees/Westminster.

Rick_1138

3,465 posts

165 months

Yesterday (15:20)
quotequote all
Funny in the final speech she got a bit choked up, such like Thatcher, tears for herself, not her failures.

irc

5,289 posts

123 months

Yesterday (15:32)
quotequote all
Rick_1138 said:
Funny in the final speech she got a bit choked up, such like Thatcher, tears for herself, not her failures.
Haven't watched it yet. At the end of the day her failures were catching her up. Indy no closer. Financial scandals with her husband deeply involved. Ferries. Health. Education. Drug deaths. A9.

In what way is Scotland any better now than in. 2007?

She couldn't see any new dawn on the horizon and it seems didn't even have the decency to give her party warning. All me, me, me.

Roderick Spode

2,543 posts

36 months

Yesterday (17:11)
quotequote all
Robin McAlpine cuttingly acerbic in his denunciation of Gauleiter Sturgeon.

Robin McAlpine said:
Her defenders will fall back on the fact she won elections. She did – over the medium term the Sturgeon Show was persuasive. But the SNP would have won those elections anyway and it is debatable how much she added to results that weren’t going to lead to a Labour Scottish Government anyway. Plus she went on to convert those wins into… nothing.

No. Take away the bluster and what is left is worse than a total lack of substance. It is almost uninterrupted failure from start to finish with hardly a positive anyone can come up with. Even her final ‘defining mission’ of gender recognition reform has been not only fluffed but probably fatally damaged.

Sturgeon has been an unmitigated disaster for this country. The rate of collapse of her reputation and credibility once her power and control were removed tells you everything. Nothing is better. Scotland is in a mess, its reputation harmed along with hers.

But there is one thing more than anything I resent her for and that is what she has done for the cause of independence. Between Brexit and Boris and Truss and the state of the UK, it is really hard to think we’re going to get a more propitious time to progress the cause of independence.

Unfortunately rather than do that Sturgeon chewed up that cause, absorbed its vitality and spat it out undigested. She traded Scotland’s chance to become an independent country for the sake of her own vanity and we will never get that opportunity back.

For that, for all of it, I will never forgive her for what she has done.
http://robinmcalpine.org/the-sturgeon-era-control-...

Silverbullet767

10,264 posts

193 months

Yesterday (17:21)
quotequote all
Rick_1138 said:
She's an actress when the mood suits her.

Composer62

1,292 posts

73 months

Yesterday (17:56)
quotequote all
Sums things up nicely I think :

Klippie

2,508 posts

132 months

Yesterday (19:05)
quotequote all
I have not got good word to say about her...good fking riddance, a self important horrible vile little clart, the SNP was a shameful excuse for a political party under fat Eck, but when she/he/it/them took over it nose dived into the abyss of hatred which was directed at anyone who didn't tow line of the SNP's vision of utopia that was an independant Scotland.

Backed against the wall there was no other choice but to go...independance is a pipe dream which will never happen...live with it.

hidetheelephants

20,332 posts

180 months

Yesterday (19:05)
quotequote all
irc said:
Taffer said:
I don't think the Islanders care how the Scottish govt chooses to organise the delivery of ferry services. They just want better services. At the end of the day the SNP have been in power long enough to own this problem. They can't blame levers/Toarees/Westminster.
Whenever there has been a chance to make a difficult choice with longterm payoff or a populist choice that delivers newspaper headlines they take the latter; for example pissing money away on their idiotic RET policy instead of investing in new tonnage means islanders can't get on the ferries even if they are running, missing appointments and delaying deliveries.

Edited by hidetheelephants on Thursday 23 March 19:12

hiccy18

1,940 posts

54 months

Yesterday (19:10)
quotequote all
ZedLeg said:
Poverty has been rising sharply for the last year. I'd be curious to see the whole study to see if it went down and back up.
Taking into account housing costs, relative poverty has gradually risen over the past decade. Absolute poverty is essentially unchanged over the same period.