Original Poster:

278 posts

103 months

Thursday 9th March
quotequote all
Thank you guys smile

Jhonno said:
Great build.. Love the old S50's

Those Deadweight batteries are mint, love mine.
Great piece of kit, had the bigger one in my M2 for couple years nd was faultless.

Networkgeek said:
Incredible E36, they really do look fantastic with this style of rear wing.

Out of interest, what mods did you do to your M2? I have an 18-plate OG in LBB that is completely stock, I intended to keep it this way, but the modifying bug is starting to creep in laugh
The list would be pretty long smile is a link to my M2 build thread at the top... I'll apologise in advance to your wallet.

bumskins said:
Love that Sam, thanks for sharing looking forward to seeing how you get on with it. Funny as a youth one of my dream 'builds' was an E30 with an S54 swap, however with age i've begun to prefer the S50-series of engines - don't sound quite as raspy as an S54 and sound more mechanical/raw cool
Love the S50! I just wish they weren't so heavy.

SturdyHSV said:
That looks so right, great job so far! cloud9

May I ask a simple question though given the amount of quality work done so far...

The OEM radio blank, would that not be an ideal spot to drill 3 holes in and mount the oil pressure etc. gauges up there nearer your eye line? scratchchin
I know what you mean, having the oil pressure gauge closer would be good but its only a small glance away.
If they were at the top I'd have to try fashion a non-oem blank for the lower section and the radio blank I will be attaching my phone to for "apple car play" sat-nav ect.

ashisgrumpy said:
Great progress Sam
Loved both the previous builds, attention to detail and focusing on the chassis work and setup rather than just upping power gets massive approval in my book.

Love the rawness of the E36 compared to the newer stuff.

Was this a factor in swapping out the M2? Didn't seem to keep it for too long.
Always what I've done, power is nothing without a good chassis.

Totally! M2 just got a little boring, it was a great car but definitely lacked feel, don't regret going DCT as that's the right box for that car but its so nice to be back in something lighter with a manual box, hydraulic power steering and no traction control that you've got to hold down a button for 5 seconds to disarm properly... just get in and go!

Actually had the M2 for 3 years but those were covid years so didn't feel it.

shalmaneser said:
Lovely car, I had an e36 m3 Evo coupe in black and i still look back on it fondly. The s50b32 is better than the s54 imo, and the chassis was lovely.

Have you fitted sway bars? Might have been tempted to go with 996 brakes all round for the matching look!
You mean anti-roll-bars unless you're American... Yes car came with Eibach adjustable ARB front and rear.

My friend has 996 one the front of his E36 328i and I just don't think they cut the mustard, done a few track days in it and I feel it definitely needs for more... plus mine will always be basically a person heavier than his as iron vs alloy engine. So I was always going to go AP after previous experience with them on past cars.

Court_S

10,109 posts

164 months

Thursday 9th March
quotequote all
This is going to be ace given how good the previous builds were.

When is the first track day?

i_am_ash

8 posts

7 months

Thursday 9th March
quotequote all
Love this and all of your other builds too. Will this be at players classic this year?

Its Just Adz

12,453 posts

196 months

Thursday 9th March
quotequote all
Did the M2 get sold? I loved that car.

That said, I do love an E36!

Excited to see what you do with this.

TheOctaneAddict

576 posts

34 months

Friday 10th March
quotequote all
Love your threads, this one i'm sure will be just as epic as ever!

bnbrndn

18 posts

32 months

Friday 10th March
quotequote all
Followed your e46 and M2 for a while now, big fan of this!

SturdyHSV

9,736 posts

154 months

Friday 10th March
quotequote all
Track_M3 said:
I know what you mean, having the oil pressure gauge closer would be good but its only a small glance away.
If they were at the top I'd have to try fashion a non-oem blank for the lower section and the radio blank I will be attaching my phone to for "apple car play" sat-nav ect.
Ahhh yeah that makes sense, and that will be more useful more of the time up there. Good call smile

Track_M3

Original Poster:

278 posts

103 months

Monday 13th March
quotequote all
Court_S said:
This is going to be ace given how good the previous builds were.

When is the first track day?
Thank you smile

Hopefully April time, still fair amount of jobs to complete and want to get a few road miles under my belt first.

i_am_ash said:
Love this and all of your other builds too. Will this be at players classic this year?
I’ve applied for track time so fingers crossed.

Its Just Adz said:
Did the M2 get sold? I loved that car.

That said, I do love an E36!

Excited to see what you do with this.
Got put back to basically stock and shot into WBAC then took over 6 months and 2 different dealers to sell.

TheOctaneAddict said:
Love your threads, this one i'm sure will be just as epic as ever!
Thank you smile

bnbrndn said:
Followed your e46 and M2 for a while now, big fan of this!
It’s got a lot to live up to haha

SturdyHSV said:
Ahhh yeah that makes sense, and that will be more useful more of the time up there. Good call smile
Aaaand a perfect place for Harry’s lap timer wink

EdmondDantes

216 posts

128 months

Monday 13th March
quotequote all
Looks incredible!

Track_M3

Original Poster:

278 posts

103 months

Wednesday 15th March
quotequote all
Not a busting amount progress has been made lately

Made a power steering overflow/catch can using a motorbike brake fluid pot

These always spill over and make it look like you've a power steering leak so hopefully this should do the trick

IMG_8991 by Sam Ratcliffe, on Flickr

IMG_8994 by Sam Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Track_M3

Original Poster:

278 posts

103 months

Picture of the whole front end is back together, like the OE look of the Eibach ARB in black with Powerflex black bushes

Untitled by Sam Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Next up is rear hub 4x bushes and Millway Motorsport camber arms

36's rear lower outer bushes are a solid rubber so swapped them out for a Lemforder ball joint

Great design of the arm as all of the adjustment can be done hub end so no worries of the exhaust being in the way for a geo

I want to try make a little gasket for the front Intrax top mount to not let any of the road grime in.

Few more little jobs to button up and it will finally be time to get some road miles on it ahead of a track day.

Also have some track wheels on order smile

Dylan318Ti

61 posts

54 months

Nice car, so clean. People are really starting to look after their E36s! The front calipers look a proper bit of kit too. I've got the recall for the steering joint, can you call up and get the part only? I'm not sure BMW would do the job on my car given how modified it is.

MDMA .

8,048 posts

88 months

Great build. Many years ago, I had the chance to buy an immaculate E36 M3 GT in British Racing Green. I thought it was a little bit expensive at the time at £15k. Bad move frown

Joehow

391 posts

102 months

Looks unreal Mr Ratcliffe

Edited by Joehow on Monday 20th March 21:38

cerb4.5lee

26,209 posts

167 months

Dylan318Ti said:
Nice car, so clean. People are really starting to look after their E36s!
I followed a really nice E36 328i yesterday, and it was great to see one out on the road I thought.

Track_M3

Original Poster:

278 posts

103 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
Dylan318Ti said:
Nice car, so clean. People are really starting to look after their E36s! The front calipers look a proper bit of kit too. I've got the recall for the steering joint, can you call up and get the part only? I'm not sure BMW would do the job on my car given how modified it is.
No you'd more than likely have to book the car in, they'll do it regardless of mods on the car. I know a tech at my local so some fudging was done.

MDMA . said:
Great build. Many years ago, I had the chance to buy an immaculate E36 M3 GT in British Racing Green. I thought it was a little bit expensive at the time at £15k. Bad move frown
I'd have loved one of them... BRG is so nice along with the GT details. But only issue I wouldn't want to take it away from original equipment.

Joehow said:
Looks unreal Mr Ratcliffe

Edited by Joehow on Monday 20th March 21:38
Thank you Joe track day soon smile

cerb4.5lee said:
I followed a really nice E36 328i yesterday, and it was great to see one out on the road I thought.
Any 36 I see on the road gets a good eye balling - you see ones driven by old folk that have probably had since new and garaged and think that will make a perfect project base haha.

Dylan318Ti

61 posts

54 months

Thanks, I'll have to see what my local BMW dealer say. I've got my F20 going in for an air bag recall so can ask them then. The joint looks in good condition, I can't see any issue with corrosion. Seems a strange recall.