future new owner questions

Author
Discussion

SturdyHSV

9,736 posts

154 months

Thursday 5th January
quotequote all
How fking good does this look? Probably the best looking CV8 over here, it just sits so right.

H5V VE

609 posts

190 months

Thursday 5th January
quotequote all
I know that you prefer the Monaro but, if you regularly transport more than 1 passenger, don't underestimate just how useful 4 doors can be!

Phil

pistolpete12

Original Poster:

315 posts

140 months

Thursday 5th January
quotequote all
H5V VE said:
I know that you prefer the Monaro but, if you regularly transport more than 1 passenger, don't underestimate just how useful 4 doors can be!

Phil
Yeah.. I know what you mean buy this...
It will be a heavy consideration

pistolpete12

Original Poster:

315 posts

140 months

Thursday 5th January
quotequote all
SturdyHSV said:
How fking good does this look? Probably the best looking CV8 over here, it just sits so right.

That looks mega!!!

pistolpete12

Original Poster:

315 posts

140 months

Thursday 5th January
quotequote all
Lincsls1 said:
I've just checked its MOT history, mileage at last test 4/8/22 showing 80,667 miles? And plenty of advisories over the years.
scratchchin
That's not good is it.. it's one of the things I would check first before viewing

Odd that it is on 76k not says 80 that's not exactly worth clocking it at that change

Edited by pistolpete12 on Thursday 5th January 18:27

Lincsls1

2,894 posts

127 months

Thursday 5th January
quotequote all
pistolpete12 said:
That's not good is it.. it's one of the things I would check first before viewing

Odd that it is on 76k not says 80 that's not exactly worth clocking it at that change

Edited by pistolpete12 on Thursday 5th January 18:27
Could just be a mis-print, maybe the car is on 86k now? Easy done.
Regarding the advisories, questions need to be asked to see what's been done about them etc..
Still well worth a look at just 20 miles away, and could provide haggle room if work needed.

RichMVXR

54 posts

41 months

Thursday 5th January
quotequote all
Some amazing advice already given above so not much to add really. Take your time, look at a few cars as it took me three different viewings before I found mine. Check for rust on the chassis rails at the front of the car as mine was immaculate and garaged but still had a rust hole starting. As I'm sure has been said, go for good maintenance over low miles and look for the AP (or similar) brake upgrade if you can.

They are great fun, be prepared to be stopped and asked about it a most fill ups wink

pistolpete12

Original Poster:

315 posts

140 months

Thursday 5th January
quotequote all
RichMVXR said:
Some amazing advice already given above so not much to add really. Take your time, look at a few cars as it took me three different viewings before I found mine. Check for rust on the chassis rails at the front of the car as mine was immaculate and garaged but still had a rust hole starting. As I'm sure has been said, go for good maintenance over low miles and look for the AP (or similar) brake upgrade if you can.

They are great fun, be prepared to be stopped and asked about it a most fill ups wink

That's a lovely car. My dream spec right there

RichMVXR

54 posts

41 months

Thursday 5th January
quotequote all
pistolpete12 said:
That's a lovely car. My dream spec right there
Thank you smile

Money pit, I reckon I've spent as much again on upgrades as I did for the car 😂 Wouldn't have it any other way though wink

dazvxr

91 posts

32 months

Thursday 5th January
quotequote all
Lincsls1 said:
Welcome to this little Forum Pete.

Firstly, Monaros are plenty spacious in the back, remember there are strictly only 2 seats though.
As for access, its not bad, but the front seats are electric and are slow to move forward. If you regularly want to use the rear seats it can be a tad of a pain, but only a tad more so than your average 3 door. I rarely do, so no issue for me.
In terms of sheer practicality, the VXR8 is going to be easier, but remember its also bigger.

In terms of electrical equipment, ALL monaro versions are exactly the same barring the 2 pod gauges which only the early CV8 Monaro doesn't have. Remember all Vauxhall Monaros are built between 04 and 06 regardless of registration plate. Badge under bonnet.

If reliability is a focus, I'll stick my neck out and say the Monaro seems to be less trouble than the newer VXR8. That's purely from years of being active on this forum though, not direct experience and not to say either is unreliable.
The much more sophisticated VXR8 has more to go wrong, the Monaro is a simple beast by comparison and IMO more robust.

Engines, lets start by saying the 5.7 can be mapped to roughly the same power o/p as the 6.0 and as such in the Monaro there is negligible difference. As a current 5.7 VXR owner who has owned a 6.0 VXR I can personally confirm this, but in fairness the 5.7 VXR is the model with the factory tweaks (shorter diff, headers, mapping to name a few). It is also the rarest here with only 62 officially imported back in 2004! I personally waited for this version the second time around and IMO it's the best variant.
I have no experience of the 6.2 in the VXR8, but nice to have I'd guess! I doubt the 6.0 in the VXR8 will offer any more performance than the Monaro. Having the auto as an option is nice.
All engines are relatively simple and highly adaptable, so bare in mind my opinions are based on standard cars because many have had modifications (generally for the better) over the years.
Back to the Monaro, note the boot space on the later VXR and 5.7 cars is literally half that of the 2004 versions due to the fuel tank being in the boot. It does make a difference! The fuel tank on the early cars in underneath hence the different exhaust arrangement.
If I was to start again, I might actually go for an early 2004 CV8, and one that's had some choice mods already installed.
Its more simple lines has really grown on me, it is handsome rather than brutish and once modded offers everything a VXR does and exceed.
There's definitely nothing wrong with a 'slightly' tuned 5.7vxr performance wise, last year I drove a standard 6.0 vxr and I'm well happy with mine nowcool
One thing I can say about my monaro, it probably has the comfiest seats I've ever experienced in a car.

FNG

3,991 posts

211 months

Thursday 5th January
quotequote all
SturdyHSV said:

That’s incredibly helpful / not helpful hehe

fred bloggs

1,146 posts

187 months

Thursday 5th January
quotequote all
If I had a cv8 and not my four door Hsv , I’d be going for one of these especially if you are going to do some paint

https://repliglass.com.au/product/monaro-v8-superc...

But yes, the modifications can get out of hand ! Mine is a 4 door commodore . It’s over 135000 smiles now.

Edited by fred bloggs on Thursday 5th January 23:13

There is Australia Day at the ace cafe at the end of the month. You will see quite a few Aussie muscle cars if you can make it.

Edited by fred bloggs on Thursday 5th January 23:15

Edited by fred bloggs on Thursday 5th January 23:19

Lincsls1

2,894 posts

127 months

Thursday 5th January
quotequote all
dazvxr said:
There's definitely nothing wrong with a 'slightly' tuned 5.7vxr performance wise, last year I drove a standard 6.0 vxr and I'm well happy with mine nowcool
One thing I can say about my monaro, it probably has the comfiest seats I've ever experienced in a car.
And how does your slightly (biglaugh) tuned 5.7vxr compare to the performance of the standard 6.0vxr?

Tomaahawk

38 posts

152 months

Friday 6th January
quotequote all
SturdyHSV said:

Sadly might be up for sale soon!

SturdyHSV

9,736 posts

154 months

Friday 6th January
quotequote all
fred bloggs said:

There is Australia Day at the ace cafe at the end of the month. You will see quite a few Aussie muscle cars if you can make it.
Love that car cloud9 I assume you'll be down at the Ace then? I'll make sure I make it down this year as I've missed a couple now! I should replace my bonnet struts before then, as I suspect it'll be up all morning getmecoat

Tomaahawk said:
SturdyHSV said:

Oh no really? That's a shame, it's such a good looking car. I heard there's some bloke looking for one somewhere around here, maybe they'll stumble across your post and PM you scratchchin

wormus

13,811 posts

190 months

Friday 6th January
quotequote all

VXR8 back wheels on the back and a forged LSA up front. Spent way too much on it but it works.

Edited by wormus on Friday 6th January 18:43

pistolpete12

Original Poster:

315 posts

140 months

Friday 6th January
quotequote all
Tomaahawk said:
Really. Why and how much. 😝

pistolpete12

Original Poster:

315 posts

140 months

Friday 6th January
quotequote all
Spoke to the guy with the yellow one.
Had a couple videos sent through.
I'm gonna have a look on the way north tomorrow.. just to get infront of one and have a poke about. See what seats are like etc etc
I'll let ya know how it goes

dazvxr

91 posts

32 months

Friday 6th January
quotequote all
Lincsls1 said:
dazvxr said:
And how does your slightly (biglaugh) tuned 5.7vxr compare to the performance of the standard 6.0vxr?
Well, the 6.0 had a little more torque from set off, but once underway mine definitely feels as though it pulls harder for longer, but being an old git I don't drive foot to floor everywhere. biglaugh oh and not to mention my chop chop definitely top trumped the standard idle cool

stu vxr

269 posts

94 months

Friday 6th January
quotequote all
wormus said:

VXR8 back wheels on the back and a forged LSA up front. Spent way too much on it but it works.

Edited by wormus on Friday 6th January 18:43
Monaro perfection!