Are Electric Cars the biggest con on the planet???

Are Electric Cars the biggest con on the planet???

Author
Discussion

TheDeuce

16,996 posts

53 months

Saturday 6th August 2022
quotequote all
Evanivitch said:
otolith said:
SWoll said:
Low BIK and high petrol proces are what is driving the change. Remove the tax incentives and make petrol £1 a litre and see how many people swap.
Let people opt out of paying to treat their sewage and the rivers would run with st. Let them dump their garbage in the street and we’d be up to our necks in rats and flies.
Yep. The idea that pumping fumes from your car into the air around homes and schools is socially acceptable will hopefully end in my lifetime.

That doesn't mean ICE cars should be banned, but you at least need to own up to your choice.
ICE will never be banned, it's our heritage! They just don't make very much sense to continue developing in a world that can quite easily switch to developing BEV's which overall are a marked improvement.

Steam trains and traction engines were never banned, they're celebrated and welcomed wherever they go - as will interesting ICE cars in decades to come. Anyone worried about change should do the smart thing and buy and protect a really interesting ICE car for the future. This is not an end of days scenario, this is an opportunity to move on to an exciting new period in cars and also an opportunity to make a smart and fun investment in the past.

SDK

373 posts

240 months

Saturday 6th August 2022
quotequote all
SWoll said:
Low BIK and high petrol proces are what is driving the change. Remove the tax incentives and make petrol £1 a litre and see how many people swap.
If both EV’s and ICE were taxed the same and cost the same to buy & run then most people would choose EV’s.
They are just better cars to drive; smoother & quieter.

When the charging network is sorted to the point that they are 100% reliable and available then even the long journey, high milers have no excuse.
The only people left are the towers, who drive 600 miles up a constant hill, in winter and can’t stop tongue out

rscott

13,996 posts

178 months

Sunday 7th August 2022
quotequote all
whirlybird said:
"Obviously most power still comes from power stations, but it's about improvement, not evangelism. BEV's will also help to make the most of wind and solar in the near future, a lot of which is currently wasted."

BUT, power stations, solar panels and wind turbines need energy to manufacture, so at what point does a wind turbine start to produce more energy than it took to build ?? I guess several years.

the core issue is energy use to produce energy efficient products, nobody has yet invented 'free energy"
Bit like Chicken and Egg, who built the first Lathe ??? because to make a Lathe you need a Lathe, see my point.
Wind turbine payback period is anything from 5-6 months to 2 years. Not bad for something with a design life of 20 years.

What's the payback period for a new oil rig?

gangzoom

5,349 posts

202 months

Sunday 7th August 2022
quotequote all
SWoll said:
It doe appear to be getting more and more agressive though I've noticed, which I'd suggest doesn't bode well.
I woudlnt worry about it, despite crazy price increases, all the trolling, long waiting times EV sales are now DOUBLE that of diesels and getting to 1/4 of petrol sales.

https://www.smmt.co.uk/vehicle-data/car-registrati...

I remeber back in 2015 it was exciting just to see another EV of any kind when out and about, now it's just normal.

By 2025 I wouldn’t be suprised if EV sales hit 50% of petrol car sales. It seems like in the last 12 months for some reason everyone at work suddenly is asking me what it's like to own an EV seriously, all the 'did you have to push it up a hill' comments I use to get are now gone, it's more 'what EV do you recon I need to get replace my current diesel/petrol'.

Just be thankful we all live in the UK, where the 'extreme' weather is actually normal weather for large parts of the world, and if you don't live in a flood risk area, happy days smile.

captain.scarlet

1,078 posts

21 months

Sunday 7th August 2022
quotequote all
Evanivitch said:
captain.scarlet said:
EVs simply shift the pollution and emissions somewhere else in the chain (where, mistakenly, it is out of sight and other senses, out of mind), be it (for example) in the mining of parts for the battery, the manufacture of the vehicle itself, the charging of the vehicle or the life cycle of the battery, its disposal and its replacement.
It's almost as if you believe the manufacturing of cars and constant production of petroleum products is emission free?
That's not at all what I'm saying or what I believe.

Both types of vehicle have their environmental impact, but in many ways EVs are not as "innocent" as they are made out to be. Far from what is marketed in the pro-EV propaganda these days, they neither tackle pollution nor are emissions-free, given what's going on behind the scenes to produce, keep them running and later scrap them.

It's just that for many (though by no means all) who believe the spiel and dare I say it are virtue signalling by showing off they have some green credentials, what's not available to one's senses (i.e. what you can smell and see) means it's been eradicated and therefore "congratulations me, I believe I'm doing good". Out of sight, out of mind...

It hasn't. It's just been shifted and harming somewhere, something and someone else.

For example, nobody is talking the about the envoronmental and ecological impact of and human exploitation in the mining of lithium; or the financial, environmental and human cost in getting the infrastructure up to scratch; or the impact of overhead cables (visually and on migrating birds) for HGVs as a means of powering them.

There's also the personal financial cost: for many it really is not economically viable but they buy into the craze and consider it an investment of some sort that will pay for itself when it really never will.

When enough people do switch over to EVs or ICE is no longer a viable option, charging tariffs will end up worse than fuel prices and posterity will still be lamenting price increases when they're not lamenting being "priced off the road", "road tolled to death", how much it costs to replace a battery pack and looking in the classifieds for things like "battery recently changed - all paperwork available!!!".

Personally speaking, unless there was a super cheap but ultimately fantastic quality Chinese EV available (which I'm sure in time there will be, with China increasingly having a marked presence in both the EV and ICE markets), financially it's not viable for me and so would be a would be complete false economy.

Another thing I'd point out is that people need to stop thinking that globally the ICE is going anywhere anytime soon. It isn't. It may be in certain markets and countries, but they are not representative of the entire world. The combined population of those countries not seeking to eradicate ICEs and therefore remaining reliant on them is a much greater proportion of the world.

Edited by captain.scarlet on Sunday 7th August 06:48

Electrics not for me

69 posts

8 months

Sunday 7th August 2022
quotequote all
Gary C said:
Electrics not for me said:
Electric cars run on power sourced from the very things the nett zero loons want to abolish.
the question is, do you believe CO2 will change the environment to our detriment ?
Like i said whilst we are 0.9% of the problem there's no point bankrupting and bullying the population into a short term compromise with as many down sides as petrol and diesel cars.
It's like saying i've got a leaking roof, but don't worry i've found a mate who can fix 1% of the leak and it'll only cost me a grand.

Electrics not for me

69 posts

8 months

Sunday 7th August 2022
quotequote all
whirlybird said:
I didn't delete my original message, so who did ????
And another thought
after 2030 will Piston Heads have to change its name to "Comutator Heads "
The clue is the name. PISTON heads. The forum is about piston-engined cars and bikes which will always be more fun, more sexy and sound a million times better than 1 speed, silent, robotic, zzzzz machines.
Again the thing everyone needs to process is that whilst we are 0.9% of the problem we cannot like dictators force heat pumps and unaffordable heating bills and compromised electric vehicles onto people who don't want them.
If they are really worried about the planet then cut air journeys by 50%. Planes use horrific amounts of fuel.

Electrics not for me

69 posts

8 months

Sunday 7th August 2022
quotequote all
Fastlane said:
This anti-EV trolling is just getting tragic.

0 out of 10 for effort or originality.
Maybe that is because this is PISTON heads. For people who like cars with sound and soul, not a glorified bumper car.

Arnold Cunningham

3,408 posts

240 months

Sunday 7th August 2022
quotequote all
For my hobby cars I am sure I’ll stick with pistons.
But for the daily driver. Whatever. Self driving and electric is fine by me. I’m not “having fun” stuck in rush hour traffic.

gmaz

4,092 posts

197 months

Sunday 7th August 2022
quotequote all
The clue is the name. PISTON heads. The forum is about piston-engined cars and bikes which will always be more fun, more sexy and sound a million times better than 1 speed, silent, robotic, zzzzz machines.
I had a 4 pot Ford diesel. It sounded sh*te and was as sexy as my Gran in a car crash. Same as 95% of cars on the road.

Evanivitch

15,996 posts

109 months

Sunday 7th August 2022
quotequote all
captain.scarlet said:
Both types of vehicle have their environmental impact, but in many ways EVs are not as "innocent" as they are made out to be.
Made out by who? Nearly all the major EV manufacturers have now published their CO2 footprint compared to their ICE vehicles.

captain.scarlet said:
Far from what is marketed in the pro-EV propaganda these days, they neither tackle pollution nor are emissions-free, given what's going on behind the scenes to produce, keep them running and later scrap them.
None of which you're able to provide a reference for.

captain.scarlet said:
It's just that for many (though by no means all) who believe the spiel and dare I say it are virtue signalling by showing off they have some green credentials, what's not available to one's senses (i.e. what you can smell and see) means it's been eradicated and therefore "congratulations me, I believe I'm doing good". Out of sight, out of mind...
Yes, if you're shifting pollution from the doorsteps of communities (inner London, Hafodrynys etc) and moving it to central power stations and a mix of Renewables you are doing good because you are positively impacting the health of people in your community.

captain.scarlet said:
It hasn't. It's just been shifted and harming somewhere, something and someone else.
How? You think the emissions of a CCGT power station and a Euro 6 diesel are equivalent?

captain.scarlet said:
For example, nobody is talking the about the envoronmental and ecological impact of and human exploitation in the mining of lithium; or the financial, environmental and human cost in getting the infrastructure up to scratch; or the impact of overhead cables (visually and on migrating birds) for HGVs as a means of powering them.
Except all the major manufacturers have made public statements on the sustainability and ethical standards of their supply chains, including lithium and cobalt.

It's almost as if Iron Ore and Aluminium mining and fossil fuel extraction doesn't have a financial, environmental and human impact?

The overhead cables comment is somewhat hilarious.

captain.scarlet said:
Another thing I'd point out is that people need to stop thinking that globally the ICE is going anywhere anytime soon. It isn't. It may be in certain markets and countries, but they are not representative of the entire world. The combined population of those countries not seeking to eradicate ICEs and therefore remaining reliant on them is a much greater proportion of the world.

Edited by captain.scarlet on Sunday 7th August 06:48
And yet the USA, China and Europe all have policies for the electrification of private car ownership... An easy 25% of the global population and significant part of the global car manufacturing base.

And regardless of whether that does anything to global CO2, it does make a huge difference to local air pollution.

gangzoom

5,349 posts

202 months

Sunday 7th August 2022
quotequote all
The clue is the name. PISTON heads.
The irony.....shame https://www.blatters.com/ isn't online anymore. There was an insightful and direct to the point about EVs on there written by Ted (founder of Pistonheads) that doesn't quite agree with your clear view points on EV....guessing by the username not a fan?

It's Sunday, life is full of opportunities, maybe find some thing more productive to do with your time than get angry at stuff you have zero control oversmile.

SWoll

15,846 posts

245 months

Sunday 7th August 2022
quotequote all
SDK said:
SWoll said:
If both EV’s and ICE were taxed the same and cost the same to buy & run then most people would choose EV’s.
They are just better cars to drive; smoother & quieter.

When the charging network is sorted to the point that they are 100% reliable and available then even the long journey, high milers have no excuse.
The only people left are the towers, who drive 600 miles up a constant hill, in winter and can’t stop tongue out
I think you're deluded. They'd stick with what they know, complaining about range/charging times etc. and likely never even test driving an EV in the first place. Most people don't like change.

gmaz said:
I had a 4 pot Ford diesel. It sounded sh*te and was as sexy as my Gran in a car crash. Same as 95% of cars on the road.
This. The genuinely interesting ICE cars will be with us well beyond 2030. Let's be honest here anyway, a lot of the recent ICE performance offerings aren't as much fun or sound as good as they did 10 years ago anyway. Auto everywhere, forced induction, smaller capacity etc.

Edited by SWoll on Sunday 7th August 08:56

GT9

4,310 posts

159 months

Sunday 7th August 2022
quotequote all
captain.scarlet said:
60% of the world's cars are in China, USA and Europe but only about 30% of the world's population.

delta0

2,184 posts

93 months

Sunday 7th August 2022
quotequote all
I see the angry ICE brigade are back again with their EV bingo word set. These arguments don’t need repeating. Also it doesn’t matter. Net zero will mean every single one of us so you will have to offset that ICE if you want to keep it and it will be very expensive to do so. EV is about the future and it’s ok if you want to stay in the past but it won’t be easy. Costs will be high to keep them going and fuel stations will shutdown. It’s going to be a PITA to own ICE.

OutInTheShed

4,338 posts

13 months

Sunday 7th August 2022
quotequote all
delta0 said:
I see the angry ICE brigade are back again with their EV bingo word set. These arguments don’t need repeating. Also it doesn’t matter. Net zero will mean every single one of us so you will have to offset that ICE if you want to keep it and it will be very expensive to do so. EV is about the future and it’s ok if you want to stay in the past but it won’t be easy. Costs will be high to keep them going and fuel stations will shutdown. It’s going to be a PITA to own ICE.
If we ever get actually serious about net zero, it will be a PITA to travel at all.

EVs are a very long way from Zero Carbon.
They might only kill one panda instead of three, but they are still 'part of the problem'.

gmaz

4,092 posts

197 months

Sunday 7th August 2022
quotequote all

Petrol/Diesel - Extract, refine, distribute, burn once.

Batteries - Extract, manufacture, distribute, recharge 1000's of times.

And before you go "yeah but you have to burn coal to charge it!!!", like many EV owners, I recharge during the night when there is cheaper excess energy, or from my own solar.

Nickbrapp

5,032 posts

117 months

Sunday 7th August 2022
quotequote all
gmaz said:
Petrol/Diesel - Extract, refine, distribute, burn once.

Batteries - Extract, manufacture, distribute, recharge 1000's of times.

And before you go "yeah but you have to burn coal to charge it!!!", like many EV owners, I recharge during the night when there is cheaper excess energy, or from my own solar.
And we don’t have any coal stations that are running constantly anymore, they are all “on demand” when the grid requires it, and those will be gone soon.

People say about yeah what about coal but happily drive around in their steel cars changing every 3 years, and guess what steel production used ALOT of?

delta0

2,184 posts

93 months

Sunday 7th August 2022
quotequote all
OutInTheShed said:
delta0 said:
If we ever get actually serious about net zero, it will be a PITA to travel at all.

EVs are a very long way from Zero Carbon.
They might only kill one panda instead of three, but they are still 'part of the problem'.
Legally we are bound by it so the more serious we get now the easier it will be later. EVs are not a long way from net zero. 1-2 years they have already beaten ICE for emissions https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportat...

They can and do already fit into a circular economy, the batteries are recycled with some reused for energy storage and others reprocessed back into car batteries.

Once our energy supply is 100% decarbonised then it is completely a no brainer to be electric. You will have net zero at that point.

annodomini2

6,722 posts

238 months

Sunday 7th August 2022
quotequote all